Clockspring? 99 XJ Check engine light and Airbag light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clockspring? 99 XJ Check engine light and Airbag light

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
skipfrary
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Clockspring? 99 XJ Check engine light and Airbag light

Been chasing this problem for a bit. Rear O2 sensor is year old (XJ now has 112,000 miles.)Had one of the wires severed and with 100K figured it was time for a new one. Replaced front O2 sensor a couple of months ago. Codes p0138 and p0141.Front O2 sensor was due but still have CEL and erratic air bag light. Thinking that clockspring may have been source of airbag light and CEL now. Have had engine surge/ run rough a few times. Have read about dirty connections on clockspring. Horn seems to work, but how often do you use it? Have no cruise on this XJ. Have already removed dash to clean cluster connections when I lost instruments. Applied some dielectric grease and solved that problem. Have read varying reports stating that cleaning clockspring can solve problem to clockspring either works or it doesn't and cleaning it does nothing. Was thinking about putting OEM O2 sensor in but now am thinking clockspring. Do not just want to change parts. Any thoughts about clockspring. If it grounds, engine would run rough and wouldn't that also give me high O2 heater circuit voltage as default value for ground is 1 or high voltage? Appreciate any thoughts or experiences .Need new inspection sticker in 30 days. It's getting to be crunch time baby!

skipfrary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do and Advanced Search on Google with the terms Clock spring and TPS. You can limit the search to JeepForum or try all the forums.

Some of the threads note that the TPS and clock spring share the same ground in the PCM, along with the horn, and that disconnecting the clock spring may eliminate the symptoms and confirm a clock spring diagnosis. The clock spring can fail for no reason, it doesn't have to be broken.

I would be looking more at wiring (O2 sensor or Clock spring) and loose connectors than at the ECU being faulty. Remove the O2 sensor fuses and look for corroded contacts.

COMPLAINT: TPS CODE P0123 WILL NOT CLEAR

A late model Jeep with a 2.5 or 4.0 liter engine and the AW4 transmission comes in with the “MIL” Check Engine Light illuminated and a complaint of late shifts. A scan reveals a code P0123, “TPS Voltage High”, is stored. The scan tools data list indicates that the TPS signal wire voltage is at 5.0 volts at closed throttle, and then ranges up to 11.5 volts. A back probe of the TPS signal wire (usually is an Orange/Dk Blue wire), shows 5.7 volts at closed throttle, with a similar rise in voltage as the throttle is opened. A check of the TPS 5 volt supply and ground circuit prove that both of these circuits are good.

A check of the TPS signal wire with the TPS disconnected shows the same 5.7 volts. Inspection of the wiring between the TPS and the PCM and TCM shows no faults. A replacement TPS does not cure the problem, neither does replacement of the PCM or TCM.

CAUSE:
The Switch Sense circuit in the Clock spring in the steering wheel hub has shorted to battery voltage from the horn button circuit. When the Switch Sense Circuit shorts to the 12 volt HORN circuit the TPS signal voltage is driven high and remains there as shown. This is because the 5 volt reference voltage used by the Cruise Control “Switch Sense” circuit and the TPS are shared inside the PCM.

CORRECTION:
Replace the Clock spring assembly. Once the Clock spring has been replaced be sure to check the sensor 5volt reference voltage at the PCM to insure that circuit has not been damaged by the short to power. Also check the TPS signal range to insure the TPS has not been damaged.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
skipfrary
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tim, Thanks for your reply and input. I really do appreciate it. I have crawled under and examined O2 harnesses and they look good, cleaned ground near dip stick, checked O2 heater fuses and contacts appear good and power rings through fuse. Do you know if I can disconnect clockspring from bottom of steering column or will I have to remove wheel just to attempt this diagnosis? Also, last time that I checked, clockspring for XJ with cruise was considerably cheaper than clockspring for XJ w/o criuse, probably due to availability??? I recall seeing one of your pics of a clockspring. I assume that the yellow is for the SRS, is the other one for the horn/cruise. Probably answering my own question here but the one with more wires(cruise) probably wont fit the one with less wires(mine) and guess that I'll have to pony up the extra cash? Thanks again for your time.-Skip.
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Rockridge
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clockspring replacement

Just pulled a clockspring from a salvage yard from a XJ with cruise and put it in my 99 w/o cruise with no problems. I was changing out my steering gear and did not know about not turning the wheel while steering shaft disengaged. It cost me $50 at the junk yard....they are very expensive at dealer $200+.
Rockridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Skip,
I have installed a new clock spring and that requires a steering wheel puller. The Yellow plug is the SRS wires. It appears that you can remove the bottom steering wheel trim cover and there is another yellow plug under there, what is does I don't know for sure, but I assume it is SRS. Remember to understand and follow the Airbag safety rules and instructions when working on a steering wheel or Airbag system. A Cruise control clock spring has 3 wires and a non-CC has 2 wires. I would assume that you could just not hook up the CC wires for a non-CC Jeep and either cut them off or just tuck them out of the way.

SYSTEM OPERATION
The clockspring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel. This assembly consists of a plastic housing which contains a flat, ribbon-like, electrically conductive tape that winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.

The clockspring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the instrument panel wire harness and the driver side airbag module, the horn switch, and the vehicle speed control switches on vehicles that are so equipped.

The clockspring must be properly centered when it is installed on the steering column following any service removal, or it will be damaged. See the Clockspring Centering procedure for more information.

The clockspring cannot be repaired. If the clockspring is faulty, damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIR-BAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIR-BAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY .

Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the procedure.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the steering wheel.
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B).
Remove the steering column, opening cover from the instrument panel.
If the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position.
Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the On position.

Insert a small screwdriver or pin punch through the access hole in the lower steering column shroud and depress the ignition lock cylinder retaining tumbler.
While holding the retaining tumbler depressed, pull the ignition lock cylinder and key out of the ignition lock housing.
Remove the three screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud.
If the vehicle is equipped with a standard non-tilt steering column, loosen the two upper steering column mounting nuts. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional tilt steering column, move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position.
Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.

Clockspring Remove/Install

Unplug the two wire harness connectors from the instrument panel side of the clockspring.
To remove the clockspring, carefully lift the locating fingers of the clockspring assembly from the steering column as necessary. If the clockspring locating fingers are broken, be certain to remove the broken pieces from the upper steering column housing. The clockspring cannot be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed.
When installing the clockspring, snap the clockspring onto the steering column. If the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel, see Clockspring Centering before installing the steering wheel.
Plug the two clockspring wire harness connectors into the instrument panel side of the clockspring. Be certain that the wire harness connector latches are fully engaged.
Reinstall the steering column shrouds and ignition lock cylinder. Tighten the shroud mounting screws to 2 N.m (18 in. lbs.) .
Reinstall the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.
The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to index the flats on the hub of the steering wheel with the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness, through the lower hole in the steering wheel hut. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N.m (45 ft. lbs.) . Be certain not to pinch the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
Install the driver side airbag module onto the steering wheel.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
skipfrary
1999 XJ Cherokee 

checking old posts

Changed out clockspring in driveway one afternoon, did plenty of reading and found many posts with pictures. Bought a new one on line from Moparonlineparts and it solved my airbag light problem.Can use cruise one on non cruise XJ's but not non cruise on cruise equiped XJ's. Cruise one were cheaper and more readily available( Only have to stock one instead of two) Its been nice not seeing that light anymore. Just read up and DO be respectful of the SRS system. I did buy a cheap wheel puller from autozone for ten bucks. I was already familiar with removing some of the dash around the steering wheel as I already did the nobus fix for the poor contacts on the back of the instrument cluster. Clockspring only took about two hours working at a very casual pace, I had expected longer and had set aside the afternoon to do it. Google it first, i did find a posting elsewhere with more than ten pics detailing the entire process right down to the wrench and socket sizes needed. Read up about not turning the clockspring before you handle it too. Good Luck, its a confidence builder.
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
jrp1974
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hi! Anybody can help me to find used clock spring for 2000 jeep cherokee sport? you can email me at julius_pajarillo2000@yahoo.com

THanks
jrp1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1974 View Post
...help me to find used clock spring for 2000 jeep Cherokee sport?
1997-2001 fits. There is a cruise control clock spring and non-cruise control clock spring.

Try searching at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts .

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Simply read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
The clockspring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel. This assembly consists of a plastic housing which contains a flat, ribbon-like, electrically conductive tape that winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.

The clockspring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the instrument panel wire harness and the driver side airbag module, the horn switch, and the vehicle speed control switches on vehicles that are so equipped.

Unread 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The clockspring is under the airbag and control the Airbag light.

Those two codes that its throwing are the same two we had. Trace your wires from the front O2 sensor to the top of the motor. Our wires had been burned/ melted. We cut out the bad section, soldered the new connections together and reset the CEL. We have had no additional problems with it as of yet. (and the CEL light had been on for months with us chasing the prob)

If the clockspring is bad, you have no alternative to replacing it. There are several on ebay or grab one from a jy.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's signature material right there
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I thought it was funny.
(no air bags here..)
BTW, Skip - did you reset your computer (or unhook your battery for several min).
Hope that's not a repeat - I haven't read every post thoroughly
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.