Clickity Clack BACK AGAIN!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clickity Clack BACK AGAIN!!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
motorman3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clickity Clack BACK AGAIN!!!!

I recently told a nice little story about fixing the clicking in my 98 XJ sport.... well ITS BACK!!! It starts around 15-20 MPH and doesnt stop until im back down below that speed. So far i have replaced the hub assembly and the universal on the drivers side. I tried looking at the pumpkin gearing but im not really sure what im looking at there. It happens all the time after i get up to speed, when turning and going straight. I thought maybe a "slappy" caliper but when i apply the brakes, it still does it. When i "thought" i fixed it, i had the entire jeep lifted off the ground and had it in 4x4, with the caliper off and the pumpkin cover off, and i did see the ???inner race??? bearing on the drivers side had a little flex?? to it? is that normal, and does ANYONE have ANY idea on what else i am missing?? its driving me NUTS!!!

motorman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Pass side U joint or tcase partially shifting into gear (try moving the lever. It'll get worse or better) Tcase fluid level?

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
FISTFULL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You could pull the front driveshaft and see if that makes any difference.
99 Sport, 3.5" RE front coils and Quadratech HD rear leafs with RE AAL, Rusty's shocks. RE HD ADJ Track Bar. RE Hack n Tap SYE. 32"Falken Mountain Peak AT's on 15x8 (4.5"bs) procomp rockcrawlers. YJ Front Brake Lines. 2.5" IRO catback with Magnaflow cat. C4x4 Tow Hooks. Rear Diff Guard. Warn Front Diff Guard and TC Skid. Yakima rack. Mega Warrior Safari Rack. Cobra CB. AJ's Rocker Guards. JCR Stage 1 rear bumper. JCR Stage 4 front bumper. ORE front steering box brace.
FISTFULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
motorman3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

FISTFULL i did pull the shaft and it "seemed" to stop. carnuk, i will try that too. i hope it isnt the pumpkin gears but if it is ill have to try to figure out how to fix it. the person i got it from obviously took it off roading, i pulled a top of a pine tree out of the passengers side wheel well between the wheel well and the brake line. he also BENT the soft 8 black rim pretty bad, maybe he bent the drivers side drive shaft??? at all possible???
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
FISTFULL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Certainly possible. Pulling the axle shafts is pretty easy. Remove the wheel, remove the caliper, remove the rotor, undo the three 13mm 12 point bolts on the hub assembly and then pull out the shaft, carefully.
99 Sport, 3.5" RE front coils and Quadratech HD rear leafs with RE AAL, Rusty's shocks. RE HD ADJ Track Bar. RE Hack n Tap SYE. 32"Falken Mountain Peak AT's on 15x8 (4.5"bs) procomp rockcrawlers. YJ Front Brake Lines. 2.5" IRO catback with Magnaflow cat. C4x4 Tow Hooks. Rear Diff Guard. Warn Front Diff Guard and TC Skid. Yakima rack. Mega Warrior Safari Rack. Cobra CB. AJ's Rocker Guards. JCR Stage 1 rear bumper. JCR Stage 4 front bumper. ORE front steering box brace.
FISTFULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
motorman3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, instead of the axle, could it be the bearing in the pumpkin itself? im gonna make the attempt to replace that tomorrow, any pointers on what i should or shouldnt do? i really hate to mess it up. looks pretty straight forward, but the way things have been going, ya never know. also, the axle is leaking pumpkin fluid out of at the end near the wheel. thats why im leaning towards the bearing being bad, so im replacing the bearing and the seal. by the time im all done ill probably have rebuilt the whole front axle.
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
motorman3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well i removed this post
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd definitely try the axle u-joints. If it was the gears inside the axle I think it would make a much louder sound than a clicking. I had this strange clicking coming from under my jeep and it ended up being a rear driveshaft u-joint going bad.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Rosati21
1994 XJ Cherokee 

check the pinion gear end play on the front diff my rear axle was doing something similar i ended up needing to replace my bearings in my rear end
Rosati21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
motorman3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so now i figured out what was wrong with my jeep. after HOURS AND HOURS of working on it, i went to a friend and traded for a drivers side axle. put it in and BAM!!! fixed! SO HAPPY!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.