clicking sound when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > clicking sound when turning

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-07-2002, 01:25 PM   #1
jsc1648
1995 XJ Cherokee 

clicking sound when turning

I have a 95 Cherokee Sport 2wd with 84k and when I turn the steering wheel at low speed/no speed I hear a clicking sound from the front suspension area as well as kind of feel it in the wheel. It's been happening for about 6 months now and seems to be getting worse. It will happen almost every time I pull in/out of a parking spot. It seemed to get worse when I replace the front wheel bearings. I took it to a shop and they though it was a worn out ball joint. Any ideas?

jsc1648 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2002, 08:47 PM   #2
CB89XJ

Grease up the trac-bar REALLY REALLY good. This basically took my noise like that away. There is a little grease fitting you will see where the upper part of the trac bar attaches.

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2002, 12:22 AM   #3
jsc1648
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Done that and it seems to have no effect for some reason. Unless i'm missing it. I typically grease 5 fittings under there. Am i missing something????
Unread 04-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
J-Mac

When I had the same problem and it got real bad, it turned out that the bracket that the top of the trac bar bolts into was at fault. The hole at the bottom of the bracket that the trac bar attaches too was barrowed out, aka it had warn to be slightly larger than it was supposed to be. This is what caused the noise. I had to replace the bracket, about $100 and it is an easy job. I hope this helps.

if you're gonna talk about it be about it
J-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #5
O-Gauge Steamer

If you have automatic hubs, these can be the culprit. The lousy spring does not always completely disengage the hub. Yep, my '97 XJ sometimes does this also...
O-Gauge Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #6
jsc1648
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Its 2wd, so i'm sure auto hubs are not the prob
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #7
PrimeSuspect

Check the U-Joints.
PrimeSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2002, 03:54 PM   #8
amaple

I had the same problem and it required replacing my cv joints. kind of expensive. Speaking of turning problems, whenever I make left-hand turns over ten mph while using the brakes, I get a non-metallic rubbing noise. Any ideas?
adam.

1974 CJ-5 ** dual Dana 44s ** only 55,000 original miles! ** no mods yet
Adam
amaple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:57 PM   #9
jsc1648
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's not 4wd. I doubt CV joints are the problem....
Unread 03-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #10
walker_a_d

I have exactly this same problem with my 2wd '93 - When the steering wheel is turned, to pull into the garage or a parking space, something (I think in the front end) clicks and keeps on clicking until the wheel is straightened.

If I hit the brakes to come to a complete stop while the steering wheel is still turned, the clicking stops the same time the wheels stop turning, and if I inch forward even just a couple of inches, it clicks again.

If I go a little faster with the steering wheel still turned, it clicks rapidly. It's about the same in both directions. I looked for anything catching or rubbing or making contact but could not find anything.

Did you figure out what the problem was? maybe whatever worked for the original poster would work for me too.

Or anybody have any further ideas? I will take a look at the track bar as somebody up above mentioned.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.