Click, but no CRANK. 2001 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Click, but no CRANK. 2001 XJ

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Paki7491
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Click, but no CRANK. 2001 XJ

Howdy, I'm new here, but not to car forums in general, so I already tried searching, but nobody seems to have the same problem I have.

2001 XJ Cherokee Limited

I suck at telling stories so I'll bullet it.

So I've had issues with my starter, so I've replaced it with some used rebuilt ones about 3 times in about 2 years.

Few days ago driving in the rain, gauges randomly turn off for about a minute. Weird.

Girlfriend gets mad that I haven't attempted to fix A/C in 2 years I've owned car. Look up on the forum common problems, find vacuum tube broken behind battery, fix that, recharge it with gas, Awesome A/C fixed in half an hour.

Few days ago I start up car to move it in the driveway, starter sticks to flywheel after starting with horrible grinding noise, I immediately shut if off, restart it with no problem.

Go to work Thursday at 3AM, rains all night/morning,, 10AM I get out of work go to my car, insert key, radio turns on, gauges turn on, turn key and CLICK. No turning, no cranking, nothing but a CLICK. Great, I broke my 3rd Starter in 2 years.

I bang on the starter while a co worker cranks it up for me. Cranks up and works, I drive home. At Home I try again and again CLICK and nothing else.

Today (Friday) I go to NAPA and exchange the old starter (which I bought from there 3 months ago NEW). I install the new starter/change my oil.

Car cranks up, Move car to shady spot, wash it/hose it down. Going to move it again and CLICK.

On my father's advice I held it while I moved the shifter and nothing but CLICK so it doesn't seem like the Neutral Safety Switch.

NO. HECK NO. There is NO WAY I broke 4 starters in less than 2 years, 3 of them since November.

I read an almost similar issue on the forum and someone suggested getting a new key switch, because they were able to remove their key while the car was running, but I've always been able to do so.

So I don't even know. Seems like an electrical problem. And I don't even know. So what do you guys think?

UPDATE: My buddy came over, and bypassed the solenoid with a screwdriver, and it cranked up. But how can it be bad on a NEW starter?

UPDATE NUMBER 2: My grandfather advised me to have a beer, relax, and be patient. Then he told me to clean the plastic connector on the solenoid. Turns out experience is better than whatever it's working.
Y'all can delete the thread.

Last edited by Paki7491; 06-07-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Paki7491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clicking and not starting is usually caused by loose/dirty/corroded wires or wire connections.

Most rebuilt starters are garbage, especially one with a "Lifetime Warranty" .

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.