Cleaning A/C Clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cleaning A/C Clutch?

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 12-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cleaning A/C Clutch?

Not sure if you guys remember, but way back in the day I swamped my Jeep. Ever since then, my A/C compressor has had a constant whine. It only makes this whine when the clutch is disengaged. When I turn the A/C on, the clutch engages and doesn't make any noise.

After months of putting up with it, I'm sick of the noise. My XJ sounds like one of those old Dodge Caravans with the whiny PS pump. I can only assume one of two things:

1. Clutch plate is just dirty

2. Some sort of bearing is shot and is about to lock up

What do you guys think?

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

There is a bearing in the hub of the pulley. It only turns when the clutch is DISENGAGED. That sounds like your issue.

Pull the belt and spin the pulley by hand and listen for noise or roughness.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you can take off the clutch plate and take a look. You'll need a special tool though that you can usually rent at an autoparts store. If the Bearing is shot, you got more luck with a new compressor I think...hard to find just the pully
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Figured it was the bearing but was hoping someone had a similar issue and had a quick fix. Lucky for me, I run a NAPA store so it wont hurt my wallet as bad, lol
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
trunk3d
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack
Figured it was the bearing but was hoping someone had a similar issue and had a quick fix. Lucky for me, I run a NAPA store so it wont hurt my wallet as bad, lol
Just walked back into the house from changing my compressor on a 2000 model.. Very easy to do; the most tedious procedure was the serpentine belt. :-)
trunk3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
You can get just the bearing and install it in the pulley yourself. Here is a source:

AutoAirOnline.com. Phone is 1 800 726 2310
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
You can get just the bearing and install it in the pulley yourself. Here is a source:

AutoAirOnline.com. Phone is 1 800 726 2310
I had thought about that. Thanks for doing the leg work for me! lol. Honestly, if they can give me a part number, I'll just cross it at work and get one there.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm. I just posted a new thread about this before I saw this one. I see the clutch bearing for $33 which sounds real reasonable. Do I need a special tool to remove the pulley and install the new bearing? Please let me know how you make out doing your repair. I need to do the same exact job.
Thanks,
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.