Clayton rear coil conversion... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clayton rear coil conversion...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Joe S.

Clayton rear coil conversion...

i want it!!!

anyone got it? sounds awesome!

Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
cherokee xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I want a hi9, stop complaining. Just kidding. To answer your question... no. Check on www.naxja.org. maybe some people there got em. Badger has a real coilover, but his was "home made"
Unread 10-21-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Joe S.

man they look sweet! seems like it would really be worth the $$
Unread 10-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
wil badger

better be comfortable with welding to doubled up 14 gauge steel.i haven't heard any complaints about the kit as of yet.there are a few things i don't like about it.one being the fact that it is weld on to something that is no thicker than you fender doubled up.

Here are some pics of the Clayton kit from somebody on NAXJA.you'll notice a lot of rear steer from this kit.the kit also doesn't come with any type of way to hold the coil the the frame as you will see in the pictures.this isn't a big deal but if not taken care of it can bite you later on the trail
Unread 10-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Joe S.

would the limiter straps like mentioned work ok?

that is a sweet looking setup. as far as welding to the metal, isnt the "frame" in the rear the same thickness as it is in the front? someone that deals with sheet metal would have no problem with that huh?
Unread 10-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
wil badger

yes straps would solve the problem of over flex and losing the spring.as for the uni-frame it is the same thickness for the full length.it's not very thick.imagine how thick the sheet metal is on you front fender and double that.it's less then 1/16 not fun to weld to .best way to weld it is to use a Tig welder and yes any good body guy/sheet metal worker should be able to do it.i just like my stuff to bolt through the unibody frame with crush sleeves then if needed stitch weld around that .were the bolts are doing most of the work and the welds are just insurance.

just incase you haven't seen what i did here it is
Unread 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
wil badger

let me add that if this is going to be a DD then you would also have to look into getting a Anti-Rock swaybar on the back to help control body roll on the street
Unread 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Joe S.

would that help on the trail too?

thats a good looking XJ ya got there!
Unread 10-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Wil Badger has my vote on the best coil over convertion ever done,

Have you taken it in really dusty trails and mud??

Does it come inside in by the coil overs???

again great work
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
wil badger

little dust comes in.i drive with the windows down most of the time or the cut doors so most of the dust comes in there.i have been in mud and no nothing really comes in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.