Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

chevy 250 xj

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bluejunior 
#1 ·
Hey everyone have a couple of questions.
1. Police interceptor xj- Whats so special about it?
2. Stock xj Transmission- What is the stock xj transmission for the police interceptor xjs?
3. Chevy 250- What is needed to swap a 4.0 inline 6 to a chevy 250 inline 6?
Reason im asking about the chevy 250 is my 4.0 thru a rod and ive got a freshly rebuilt 250 inline 6 im not looking to spend alot and im wondering what ill need to mate it to the transmission of the xj would i need to move motor mounts? Im just looking for a rundown on it any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
1) Nothing really special, except a few heavy duty options that were also available on non-police Cherokees.
2) All 4.0 L automatic transmission XJ Cherokees have the AW-4 transmission.
3) Just because you have something doesn't make it a wise, cost effective, or worthwhile swap. The expenses involved for transmission adapters and other custom work, and the difficulty of adapting Chevy electronics to Jeep electronics will very likely exceed the cost of a good used or rebuilt Cherokee 4.0L engine.

#4 ·
www.car-part.com and CraigsList.com.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, oil filter adapter, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

#5 ·
by 250 inline, do you mean one of the old ones, or the atlas 4.2 they stuck in trailblazers and such? That's a great engine but it'd be a ***** and a half to fit into an XJ and pretty much EVERYTHING would have to be custom, right down to the oil pan. There's some support out there for mercedes diesels, SBC's and such but I've never even heard of an atlas swap.

You could probably buy a 4.0 and stroke it for less unless you're a hell of a fabber.

If you're determined to use it (and I would love to see that build), it would probably be easier to take some measurements and see if you can use the GM tranny and T-case with it, instead. I'm functioning on years old knowledge here but I'm pretty sure the outputs are drastically different.

#7 ·
Any swap that fits under the hood is "possible". The question to answer is: Will the cost of the swap and the time invested in custom adapters have value/usefulness/cost effectiveness that exceeds a simple Jeep 4.0L replacement or a Jeep stroker motor ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.