Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cherokees at Tellico (pics)

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  fordtech 
#1 ·
Went to Tellico this weekend to try out my custom front suspension. Saturday we ran trail 9 (Slickrock) then went to Guardrail and decided to bypass it and Helicopter Pad, and go down Schoolbus Hill due to a clunking sound in my suspension. Turns out it was just the Rubicon Express joints were not adjusted tight enough. So we went back on Sunday evening and climbed Guardrail and Helicopter Pad and down Schoolbus again. Pretty good for only 33s and 3 1/2 and 4 inches of lift.
It was a great trip, no winching ,no strapping, no breaking and no body damage other than some scratches.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EegMXLlu5bNVFCg&notag=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

#2 ·
DAMN that Orange XJ can flex good! Is that yours or the other one?

--Dan.

#4 ·
Whats the point to hacking the back off? Dont get me wrong, I kinda like it. I would like to see a painted version, but for some reason, it really has my attention. Jeeps only 4 door small truck. With a working rear gate, and glass in the back, I would have that for my 98. But again, whats the point besides soemthing different?

#7 ·
I think the chop job ROX!

I would love to do that to mine!

What would it cost?

#8 ·
Is the roof and the back section all removable? They look it cuz they are all painted black. Nice Rig and nice flex shots!!

#9 ·
hacked96 said:
I got a new sawzall for Christmas..............that's my best excuse.
Thats funny.

Can you take some detailed pics of your rig? I really like that chop job.
How does the back seat work out, etc, etc.......

#10 ·
I dig the chopped rear....... :D :thumbsup: :rofl:

Looks like you guy had fun....

#11 ·
#12 ·
BlueMonster said:
I think the chop job ROX!

I would love to do that to mine!

What would it cost?
I wouldn't know what it would cost to pay someone, I've been working on it in my self spare time.

Scarlotti & Montyxj91 you can see more pics at this link. I don't run a back seat, I plan to use that space for spare parts, onboard air, tools and assorted junk.

cj7xjmj the pics look good, like the mj , wish I still had mine. Tellico is hard to beat, give me a holler the next time your down, might be able to do some wheelin.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EegMXLlu5bNVFH0&notag=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

#13 ·
I am not sure where you are located, but the club I belong to is going to be doing Paragon and Rausch creek in the end of July. I probrably wont make Tellico again til sometime next yr.

Right now my rig is being rebuilt/upgraded after Tellico. Flatbed, 8.8, new hp30 with chromoly shfts and 760 u-joints. Tellico took its toll on my junk.

Patrick

#15 ·
marauder said:
I think your rig looks great!
No offense, I like it :thumbsup: , but it kinda looks like a Subaru. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Alogon said:
hacked96 I really like the way your flares look what are they off of? or are they custom?
i think they are ford explorer flares, I was lookin in to those to, looks good

#17 ·
hacked96 said:
The orange one is mine and yea for 4 inch coils it does pretty good, now I've gotta work on the rear.
AND they are still on the coil tower! Amazing! :laugh:

#20 ·
I spend the day tuesday at the junkyard trying to get a new blower motor, while I was there they had an explorer sport which had been rolled, but the flares were in good condiiton. They are not as wide as the Eddie Bauer ones that Hacked has, but I couldn't resist buying them... I hope to get around to throwing them on by the end of summer.

#21 ·
Damn!!!

Hacked 96, how the hell did you get so much flex from 4.5 inch coils??
I'd love to copy your design if I could...

Did you "mix and match" different parts for your lift? If so, what did you use?
I want my 89 to do that!!!

Thanks, and nice ride man.

#22 · (Edited)
cj7xjmj said:
I am not sure where you are located, but the club I belong to is going to be doing Paragon and Rausch creek in the end of July. I probrably wont make Tellico again til sometime next yr.

Right now my rig is being rebuilt/upgraded after Tellico. Flatbed, 8.8, new hp30 with chromoly shfts and 760 u-joints. Tellico took its toll on my junk.

Patrick
I'm in Sweetwater Tn, about 30 minutes from theTellico ORV area. Sounds like some good upgrades and your right if your rig has a weak spot, Tellico will find it. lol.

Alogon: The flares are from an Explorer

XJFOR4: Actually the springs are only 4 inch, They are Skyjackers for a TJ. The front suspension is a custom 3 link mid arm, it doesn't have a radius type arm like most long arms.It took about 150- 175 to built arms and all and a couple of weekends. Another reason the springs don't "drop" so easily is that the front of the inner fenders have been modified for extra "stuffing. Notice how far the drivers front is stuffed but I'm still able to steer full lock. If I had just used longer bump stops, the body would have bottomed out on the drivers side sooner and started lifting the passengers side sooner and unseating the spring sooner. Freeing up the front has made the rear go to sleep, that wiill be my next undertaking. hope this make sense, I'm not a suspension guy, just a flunky lol.

#23 ·
hacked96 said:
XJFOR4: Actually the springs are only 4 inch, They are Skyjackers for a TJ. The front suspension is a custom 3 link mid arm, it doesn't have a radius type arm like most long arms.It took about 150- 175 to built arms and all and a couple of weekends. Another reason the springs don't "drop" so easily is that the front of the inner fenders have been modified for extra "stuffing. Notice how far the drivers front is stuffed but I'm still able to steer full lock. If I had just used longer bump stops, the body would have bottomed out on the drivers side sooner and started lifting the passengers side sooner and unseating the spring sooner. Freeing up the front has made the rear go to sleep, that wiill be my next undertaking. hope this make sense, I'm not a suspension guy, just a flunky lol.
Could you give us more details and pictures of this midlink setup. Im very interested in seeing how it works.

#24 ·
Thanks to you, I was out in the driveway looking at how to cut the top off of my rig. I have a few questions...
What did you use for the back window section?
Is there enough room for a back seat?
I assume you dont have a tailgate?
How did the unibody take the cuts? Did you add extra support?
How long did it take? what donor car did you use?
Why does Seattle traffic suck so bad?

Seriously, I really like the mini H2 lol, I really like the look, and am seriously considering doing it, or having a shop do it, how much have you spent on that?

#25 ·
hacked96 said:
No offense taken, I've heard worse, my favorite is "the redneck Hummer" lol
Dude, I would never, ever, ever ......... Compare your Jeep to a Hummer. That is such an insult. :brickwall Like comparing a Porsche to a Yugo, ugh. Jeeps are capable, and well how many military folk have you seen driving a Hummer that isn't owned by the military? Me = None.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.