Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #31
jakeleverett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

very interesting thread, the height really only depends on YOUR specific level off offroad use and abuse.

jakeleverett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #32
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Do you have any pictures of the under hood setup going through the firewall? If I could make this happen like yours then it would be sweet. I have inspection next month and could ask them to put the inspection stickers 6" higher than at the bottom. Hmm......
i can try to snag a pic for you tomorrow.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #33
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
i don't know why others did not do it. i have mine on my drivers side without issue. only used about 2' of tube as well, but my filter sits outside as well.

similar underhood setup as others, just some flexible hose adn a few couplers to make it all work. i did away with my stock airbox (well, never had one) and am just using the stock intake hose coupled to the flexible hose ran out through the cowl to a pod filter under the cover.

and it does not hamper vision at all, hardley even notice it is there actually, but makes a helluva sucking sound at start up
like the location! keeps the engine bay cleared up and my wifes view open. since i cut my fenders and removed liners and i live in NC where we have no stickers anymore...this could work later for stage 2
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
rjlanam
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the revival of the thread..

Why not bypass the airbox completely to free up space? There's a Spectre and Thor cowl intake which is a great option, but why not take those a step further to include this humvee-style prefilter? Has anyone done this? I'm really interested in removing the air box, adding colder air, and moving induction to above the hood.
rjlanam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think he was using the airbox as a filter holder. The factory airbox is actually pretty efficient if you close up the front hole. You can buy an acutal cowl setup with metal pipes off ebay for like $60 that has a small filter and goes directly into the throttle body.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #36
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlanam
Sorry for the revival of the thread.. Why not bypass the airbox completely to free up space? There's a Spectre and Thor cowl intake which is a great option, but why not take those a step further to include this humvee-style prefilter? Has anyone done this? I'm really interested in removing the air box, adding colder air, and moving induction to above the hood.
I've been thinking about this. I like the Spectre product better but I'd like to add a snorkel-top to the cowl, hummer style. Would that kind of setup be less noisy than Spectre's typical setup? I want the space in the engine bay but I don't want to hear air sucking in the glove box area.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
ford_0004
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How was the snorkel head made ?
ford_0004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #38
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_0004
How was the snorkel head made ?
Check out the first post of this thread.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #39
SaarXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting solution.
Did you check the mpg comparing to the no snorkel state?
(I'm asking since I'm not sure that air flow is optimal that way)
While not playing with my Jeep, I play other racing games or fixing my Alfa Spider :)
SaarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , cowl , hummer , intake , snorkel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.