Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #16
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt41 View Post
This....As cool as it is, and as much as I like to go overboard with my Jeep, this is very true.
It does come in handy in the desert and dry areas where having the intake up that high brings in clean cool air instead of dusty air.....but most people in the states wheel on rocks, forrest, and mud.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
Bustedmp
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, but the shop vac hose is not big enough. I used it on my last one, and when in deep water it caused enough restriction to cause water to get sucked in around the airbox lid. You would be much better off using 3" or larger. Water getting sucked by the lid/air filter seal isn't the only downfall of shopvac hose. At high revs it will cause your engine to backfire and cutout from the restriction. It's not that big of a deal if you rarely go full throttle, but it isn't ideal.
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Looks awesome man! Nice jeep ...

I have seen a few people do this, there is a tread about this kind of cowl ... I almost did that but used this bad boy:

It's an AEV Snorkel Pre-Filter Top AEV / Nth Degree 40306041AA - AEV Snorkel Pre-Filter Top for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

It keeps the water out.

this is closer to what the inside of what a genuine HMMWV (Hummer) snorkel cap looks like... I also agree with others the intake hose needs to be about 4" DIA. that small hose is not going to supply enough air, also what are you using for an air filter?
slimpartywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Muddeprived

FYI, McMaster-Carr has a variety of different hoses in many diameters. I used 3" diameter hose and it sucks well....literally lol. Four inches is overkill IMO cuz part of the factory intake is around 3" diameter anyways. Just make sure you watch the temperature ratings of the hoses cuz you don't want it to melt and deform.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
96-XJ
1972 CJ5 

old post i know, but hopefully il get a response...

Why didn't you put the intake on the driver's side? It seems to me that it'd be less tubing, less underhood clutter, less expensive, shorter tube feed = better intake colder air?
96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Medic22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96-XJ View Post

Why didn't you put the intake on the driver's side? It seems to me that it'd be less tubing, less underhood clutter, less expensive, shorter tube feed = better intake colder air?
Unfortunately, The windshield wiper motor sits on that side of the cowl.
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
Muddeprived

I wanted it on the driver's side but legal issues and what Medic said prevented that plan. I can't have anything blocking the inspection stickers and the wiper motor prevented any hose from fitting. The hood hinge was also in the way.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee33s1991 View Post
this looks awesome but i dont see the point? your moving the height of the intake like 6 inches
This is an excellent question which I believe is most easily answer with MS Paint and whatever side profile of an XJ Google finds first.

You are right that the intake height only changes slightly when sitting level.

But offroading is seldom done on level surfaces. Driving downhill, for instance.

So, where do you want your intake?
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96-XJ View Post

i don't know why others did not do it. i have mine on my drivers side without issue. only used about 2' of tube as well, but my filter sits outside as well.

similar underhood setup as others, just some flexible hose adn a few couplers to make it all work. i did away with my stock airbox (well, never had one) and am just using the stock intake hose coupled to the flexible hose ran out through the cowl to a pod filter under the cover.

and it does not hamper vision at all, hardley even notice it is there actually, but makes a helluva sucking sound at start up

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
i don't know why others did not do it. i have mine on my drivers side without issue. only used about 2' of tube as well, but my filter sits outside as well.

similar underhood setup as others, just some flexible hose adn a few couplers to make it all work. i did away with my stock airbox (well, never had one) and am just using the stock intake hose coupled to the flexible hose ran out through the cowl to a pod filter under the cover.

and it does not hamper vision at all, hardley even notice it is there actually, but makes a helluva sucking sound at start up
You would get a ticket and probably not pass inspection here in PA. Can't block inspection stickers, which are on the window in that exact spot.

I also couldn't get 3" hose in that small area. I wish I could have though....
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

well we don't have any sort of inspection at all here in KY.

and mine is 3" hose ran up there.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #27
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
well we don't have any sort of inspection at all here in KY.

and mine is 3" hose ran up there.
Do you have any pictures of the under hood setup going through the firewall? If I could make this happen like yours then it would be sweet. I have inspection next month and could ask them to put the inspection stickers 6" higher than at the bottom. Hmm......
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
coalregionXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Right now I'm running a snorkel setup of 4 inch tubing running down the a pillar into the fender directly into the airbox.. at the top I've gpt a k@n pod filter. I'm thinking of puttinng my pod filter which. Is 3 inches talll and filtered on 3 sides. Why not put that right on top of the cowl with a waterproof pre filter?.. I can order one from rocky mountain for 20 bucks. Then I would have. All the benefits of a cold almost ram air intake and still be waterproof.... Hmmm time to redo my system..
32's mastercraft courser mt's
homemade snorkel
"hold my beer and watch this
coalregionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #29
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

anyone check out the Spectre cold air intake for cherokees? It runs through the cowl and replaces the airbox with an inline filter.
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I reused the factory air box when I did mine. That simplifies filter location as you use the original filter and just suck air from inside the cowl. I've got about $25 in mine. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...ml#post8805654

Tags
cherokee , cowl , hummer , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.