Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Medic22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cherokee XJ Cowl/Hummer Snorkel Build / How - To

There are several ways to go about installing a snorkel on an XJ. All of them require drilling, and some are more expensive then others. The most effecient way to go about doing it is to pick up an ARB Safari style snorkel that runs up along the A-post. I thought long and hard about that one, but a hole in the fender and $450 put it out of the question. Below is my version of the cowl/hummer style snorkel, a much more inexpensive yet efficient and fully functional way of doing it.

There is a how-to on Eric's XJ (Eric's XJ) on a cowl snorkle that ends at the cowl on the engine side. This was my original intention, but found that after about a minute of "rainfall" that passenger side area was moist. This is what prompted me to go for the hummer style look. Here is a picture of that:

I used several previous how-to's prior to tackling this project:
1. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...intake-326040/
2. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hu...mplete-279468/
3. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/p...thread-804449/

Supplies:
1x Flexible 2" coupling
1x 90 degree or 45 degree 2" flexible connector
1x 3" to 2" reducer
1x 8 inches of 2" PVC (They usually come in sections of 2 feet)
1x 2" flexible hose (I opted for shopvac hose, sold in 2.25" - It is actually 2")
1x Roll of aluminum tape
1x tube of silicone (I opted for Black high temp RTV, as i had two tubes sitting in my garage)
1x PVC Cap (The one shown in this build is easiest, otherwise use L brackets as shown in link #3 above)

(Ignore the plastic coupling in the picture above, you will not use it)

Tools:
Drill with 2" Hole saw
Dremel

How to: (Before drilling into your car and playing with the intake system, take a deep breath and understand that i'm not responsible for you messing your car up.)

1. Remove the wipers (Pop up the clips on the back and wiggle them off) and undo the screws on the cowl area cover.
The area should now look like this:

2. Mark where you want the tube to enter the cowl with a pen at the center. Use a smaller drill bit to go through it.

3. Using the 2" hole saw on your drill, drill your 2" hole. After you have drilled, be sure to spray the edges with spray paint. You do not what the edges to rust.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...c/IMGP4498.jpg

4. Moving to the top, decide where you want the intake to sit. reinstall the cowl cover (the piece with the vents). Mark the center of where you want it to sit. Drill through the cover and the metal sheet beneath is with a small drill bit.

5. Remove the cover. Using your 2" hole saw drill through the cover and the metal. I would suggest doing the two seperately.

6. Join the reducer coupler and the cap using the two supplied screws. I would suggest painting them now.

7. Cut the connecter off of your tube if you used the shopvac tubing.

8. Using your 2" flexible coupler, spread silicon on the inside edges as below. Do the same on the outside of the flex tubing.

9. Feed the attached tube and coupling through the hole on the engine side and pull it up towards the sky into the hole on the top. You may need to extend the edges on the first hole to feed the coupler through all the way (using the dremel).

10. As you did before, spread silicone on the inside of the coupler. Attach the cover with the reduced and a small section (about 4") of your 2" pvc piping.

11. Remove your airbox. Using a piece of sheet metal or plastic, cover the old intake and seal it with silicone. Drill a new 2" hole on the opposite end with your hole saw.

12. Feed your 90/45 degree coupling through the new hole in the airbox and seal it with silicone.

13. Wrap your flex tubing with the aluminum tape. If you prefer, paint it black as I did.

14. Spread silicon on the opposite end of the connector and on the hose as you did with the 2" coupling on the other end. Attach the two pieces. Using silicon, fill the drainage holes in your airbox.

15. You're done! Let it all dry, you should now be in service.

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
XJH-007

I like the idea, but I think you should have used a larger dia. hose. I think that 4.0 will be gasping for air above idle.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome man! Nice jeep ...

I have seen a few people do this, there is a tread about this kind of cowl ... I almost did that but used this bad boy:

It's an AEV Snorkel Pre-Filter Top AEV / Nth Degree 40306041AA - AEV Snorkel Pre-Filter Top for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

It keeps the water out.

I also thought of making one of these. Just like a scuba snorkel, if it would to become submerge, it would close to stop water from getting in.

I just made the old fashion cowl for now… maybe ill get a real snorkel or change it up to this style at some point... maybe.

Last edited by Project1; 04-07-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Prosonic
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post
I like the idea, but I think you should have used a larger dia. hose. I think that 4.0 will be gasping for air above idle.

Exactly what I'm thinking.
Definitely needs to be 2.5-3", especially with how long of a distance the air has to travel now.

Good execution though.
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, but 2 inches is very small.

Bump it to 3 and you have a good setup.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Muddeprived

Wow, looks like my snorkel is really catching on. I've seen 4-5 xj's with the snorkel setup I made a couple years ago.

They all are lookin good!

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Medic22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Wow, looks like my snorkel is really catching on. I've seen 4-5 xj's with the snorkel setup I made a couple years ago.

They all are lookin good!

Yep, saw your thread on another forum and loved how it looked.
I've gotten a bunch of comments on it. It looks pretty good (IMO) and is damn cheap compared to other options.

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic22 View Post
Yep, saw your thread on another forum and loved how it looked.
I've gotten a bunch of comments on it. It looks pretty good (IMO) and is damn cheap compared to other options.

Yeah that's why I did it, cheap and I hit two birds with one stone: cold air intake and snorkel.

After using it through winter, I realized that with all the snow we get the snorkel gets covered and clogged sometimes so I made a cap that replaces the snorkel bowl and seals off the intake and the hose was designed to be disconnected from the air box so I can convert to stock intake in the winter and then reconnect it when the snow is gone. Takes like 1 minute to close the intake for snow. The cap is made of a six inch piece of 3" pvc (like the snorkel cap) with a rubber cap on top isntead of a cereal bowl LOL. I could just leave the snorkel cap on it but it becomes a chore to have to dig out the snorkel every morning before work and THEN start the jeep to warm it up. I usually start it and then start brushing off the snow but if I did that with the snorkel cap, it would suck in all that snow.

I did try using a 1 foot piece of PVC to extend the snorkel cap high off the cowl to avoid sucking in snow but it looked awfully funny.
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Medic22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah that's why I did it, cheap and I hit two birds with one stone: cold air intake and snorkel.

After using it through winter, I realized that with all the snow we get the snorkel gets covered and clogged sometimes so I made a cap that replaces the snorkel bowl and seals off the intake and the hose was designed to be disconnected from the air box so I can convert to stock intake in the winter and then reconnect it when the snow is gone. Takes like 1 minute to close the intake for snow. The cap is made of a six inch piece of 3" pvc (like the snorkel cap) with a rubber cap on top isntead of a cereal bowl LOL. I could just leave the snorkel cap on it but it becomes a chore to have to dig out the snorkel every morning before work and THEN start the jeep to warm it up. I usually start it and then start brushing off the snow but if I did that with the snorkel cap, it would suck in all that snow.

I did try using a 1 foot piece of PVC to extend the snorkel cap high off the cowl to avoid sucking in snow but it looked awfully funny.
How did you go about making a disconnect at the airbox? Fortunately I waited until after the snow this year to do mine, but now you've got me seeing a future problem.
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic22 View Post
How did you go about making a disconnect at the airbox? Fortunately I waited until after the snow this year to do mine, but now you've got me seeing a future problem.

There's a 4" piece of pvc glued to the hose that fits into the angled pvc fitting attached to the airbox. It pops out and lays on top of the airbox pvc and hood still shuts. I originally had it one piece to the airbox but the disconnect seemed like a better idea since I can pop it off and move it out of the way for engine work.
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
cherokee33s1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

this looks awesome but i dont see the point? your moving the height of the intake like 6 inches
cherokee33s1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee33s1991 View Post
this looks awesome but i dont see the point? your moving the height of the intake like 6 inches
Would you rather have the intake down load below the headlights or all the way back against the windshield, up 6"?

My first outing ended up almost a disaster. I did a simple water crossing that went a little bit above the bumper and my filter was completely wet. The intake opening is right behind the headlight so going in water that deep or hitting water with the fan will risk drinking water. Put the snorkel up outside 6" above the cowl and that risk is gone. now I can submerge my entire front clip under water and still be fine. This works the same way as the ARB snorkels, except it's not way up against the roof. Who's gonna cross water that's as high as the roof? lol
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
cherokee33s1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Would you rather have the intake down load below the headlights or all the way back against the windshield, up 6"?

My first outing ended up almost a disaster. I did a simple water crossing that went a little bit above the bumper and my filter was completely wet. The intake opening is right behind the headlight so going in water that deep or hitting water with the fan will risk drinking water. Put the snorkel up outside 6" above the cowl and that risk is gone.
well i guess i see now
cherokee33s1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee33s1991 View Post
well i guess i see now
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Curt41
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

My first outing ended up almost a disaster. I did a simple water crossing that went a little bit above the bumper and my filter was completely wet. The intake opening is right behind the headlight so going in water that deep or hitting water with the fan will risk drinking water. Put the snorkel up outside 6" above the cowl and that risk is gone. now I can submerge my entire front clip under water and still be fine. This works the same way as the ARB snorkels, except it's not way up against the roof. Who's gonna cross water that's as high as the roof? lol
This....As cool as it is, and as much as I like to go overboard with my Jeep, this is very true.

Check out my build thread

Survivalist Jeep #6

Rusty's 3in Full leaf pack, JKS quicker discos, rear sway bar gone, Carr light bar with 4 KC 6x9's, C4x4 Tow Hooks, Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Muffler, 31x10.50 Goodyear Dura-Tracs

Looking for a set of pre-96 XJ front bumper endcaps
Curt41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , cowl , hummer , intake , snorkel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.