Cherokee won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
tinkybigger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee won't start

My 1997 jeep Cherokee won't start, CPS check, PCM check. No spark, No Fuel into the cylinder, Only into fuel rail, all relays are good. What else could it be Please Help.

tinkybigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
tinkybigger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok to get a little more descriptive. I have no check engine light on whatsoever. The Jeep won't self code at all. I had a friend use his scanner and got codes P1389, P0700, P0743, and P1694. All the relays are good and I just put a new starter, new battery, new water pump. I did not have the starting problem until after I changed the water pump and battery. I thought it was the PCM and ordered one off ebay that was programmed to my vehicle. I also know it is not the CPS because I got one at Auto Zone and tried and the car still wouldn't start. It cranks and cranks just won't start. I have also checked all the relays and they are working fine. Any ideas as to what could be wrong??
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Follow your codes. Start with P1389 which is NO ASD RELAY OUTPUT VOLTAGE AT PCM.

How do you know all relays are good? Have you swapped? First thing to try is to try swapping the ASD relay in the power distribution with a non-critical relay like the e-fan. Without an ASD signal, you're dead in the water.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spark: 12 volts from ignition switch to the ASD relay; when the key is first turned on the PCM provides a ground to the ASD relay to energize it, then the ASD relay passes 12 volts to the coil primary side. If no crank sensor signal is generated after a couple of seconds the PCM cuts the ground to the ASD relay (and fuel pump relay too) and that cuts power to the coil (and fuel pump). Key to START and once again the PCM energizes the ASD relay. Now, a critical element is the crank sensor--no signal from the crank sensor and the PCM won't trigger the coil to provide spark.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
tinkybigger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I swapped relays, then just to be sure bought new ones, still nothing. Old starter relay had a ground wire attached to it that ran straight to the fender. When i disconnected it the starter died. Now no crank no nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.