Cherokee Sport Gas Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Sport Gas Mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Driver8x

Cherokee Sport Gas Mileage

HI,
I was wondering what if anything I can do to get better mileage on my 2000 Cherokee Sport 4WD 4.0L. I get 13.5 to 15.5 mpg depending on season in suburban traffic. I get 23 to 25 mpg higway @ 70 plus mph which is OK. I have a Cold Air Intake installed. That helped the performance but did little to improve mpg. I have 38000 miles in it and it starts & runs great. Any ideas? What kind of mileage are others getting. Thanks.

Driver8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
severous01

you're in the highest percentage as it is.....if you want better put in a SBC with displacement on demand or get a newer obd2 engine and put it in.

another thing would be to stay off the throttle and reduce tire size, lower gearing (numericly) and reprogram ecm for maximum mileage. but then you'd have a bug on steroids with no offroading options.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
xjrrrdx

Just search "gas mileage" you will get pages on pages on pages of only XJ tech forum on gas mileage.

I get 20 on the highway with 34s.
RE ZJ 3.5" coils with 1.75" spacer, DPG 5" springs, JKS 1" shackle/ Black Steelies 4" BS/ 34" Trxus MT / RK 3-link LA / Rock Monitor Front Bumper / RE XD Trackbar w/ mount / C-Rok Rear Bumper / Aussie Front Locker / AJs Sliders, RE H&T
www.rocklizardfabrications.com
xjrrrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Grey4.0L
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thats probably the best milage your gonna get out of it, thats very good compared to many others ive seen. Most people i know with 4L's are only getting 10 to 11 at best.
93 XJ - 4" Lift, RC Control arm drop brackets / IRO Hack N Tap / 33x10.5 BFG KM2's mounted on 15x8 Cragar D's / Rear Locked / Adj Track bar / Aux transmission cooler / 99+ Intake Manifold / 703 Injector swap / Dynomax exhaust / Bushwacker Flares / KC HiLites / 136A alternator swap / JCR Winch bumper / Warn VR8000 / DirtBound Tire Carrier
Grey4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

25 mpg highway is about the best you can get out of it due to the drag coeffecient of the body. There's misc things you can do to improve city mpg a little.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

A cold air intake? you must mean a snorkle.

Your mileage is above average for an XJ, be happy.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Driver8x

Thanks

Yeah...cool. I figured maybe that my mileage was normal. It's good to hear it from others and know for sure.THX.
Driver8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
BrunoS

35 psi air in tires

no roof rack

no junk inside

msd coil

regular plugs

new fuel filter

new high-flow cat and new performance muffler

that will = 20mpg city, 20-25 hwy with 5-spd manual
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
XJ95mlake
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My 95 sport gets 10-15 City and 19-24 hwy.

I have a magnaflow hihg flow cat and a magnaflow muffler.

when i installed the exhaust i didn't notice huge difference in mpg, but i did get a lot more pep out the the XJ...
Unread 03-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
Pizza Man!

I'm getting aroung 10-15 hwy/city, and this is a stocker. I also need an oil change, gearbox service, tune-up, new thermostat (definately sticking open), and exhaust. I just need some warm weather for all the easy cheap stuff and some money for the exhaust. My tires are probably a couple pounds low too, come to think of it.

This could be an interesting thread, or even sub forum though. Making the XJ the ultimate DD/gas saver, but still have space when you need it, and be be surefooted Jeep in the snow/rain/crappy dirtroads (but not really offroad). Lighter (2 door for sure) manual, maybe even a six speed, lowered slightly, slight to extreme areo-dynamic mods, maybe a diesel swap (awsome mileage increase there)...

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Pizza Man! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man!
I'm getting aroung 10-15 hwy/city, and this is a stocker. I also need an oil change, gearbox service, tune-up, new thermostat (definately sticking open), and exhaust. I just need some warm weather for all the easy cheap stuff and some money for the exhaust. My tires are probably a couple pounds low too, come to think of it.

This could be an interesting thread, or even sub forum though. Making the XJ the ultimate DD/gas saver, but still have space when you need it, and be be surefooted Jeep in the snow/rain/crappy dirtroads (but not really offroad). Lighter (2 door for sure) manual, maybe even a six speed, lowered slightly, slight to extreme areo-dynamic mods, maybe a diesel swap (awsome mileage increase there)...
If you even think about mentioning lowering a stock height jeep again, Im taking your keys.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 03:59 AM   #12
bogger jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

2nd on taking keys .or make him post on the street xj only. bad boy,....
bogger jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #13
RWB214

Remove any thing on the roof (ie rack, tire), fold in the side mirrors, put synthetic gear oil in the differentials, and go easy on the skinny pedal.
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
JLBIII

I've got a 2000 SE with 138,00 miles on the 4.0. When it was new with the Goodyear tires I averaged over 22mpg on the highway and 16.5 mpg city. After the Goodyear's wore out at 53,000 miles I switched to B.F. Goodrich All Terrain T/A. Mileage dropped to 21 mpg highway and 15mpg city plus increased road noise. I now have a new set of T/A's after putting 83,000 on the first. During a recent 13hr highway trip, I averaged 19.5 MPG with two people and full load of hunting and camping gear.

JB
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrrrdx
Just search "gas mileage" you will get pages on pages on pages of only XJ tech forum on gas mileage.

I get 20 on the highway with 34s.

wow dude. i'm rockin like 14 with 31's. i was upwards of 22 before the 31's...i guess i should look into a tune and CAI or filter.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.