Cherokee Serpentine Belt Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Serpentine Belt Replacement

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
coclimber

Cherokee Serpentine Belt Replacement

I have been trying to find information regarding the recommended interval for replacement of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6cyl 4wd serpentine belt. It has been 4 years since last replacement. The belt shows signs of cracking on the tooth side, but I'm not experienced enough to know if this is an indicator of need for replacement or if this is usual. Please help.

coclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
captain_ruggy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If it's cracked, replace it. If it would break on you while driving, it wouldn't be a nice sound. It's not that hard to do either. You should replace it with a goodyear gatorback belt. I think they are the best belt out there for the money.
Aux. fan switch, homemade BPE's
moved intake, OEM towhooks
Rear disc brakes, JKS disco's
captain_ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
MaroonedXJ

[QUOTE=captain_ruggy]It's not that hard to do either. QUOTE]

speak for yourself! mine is a pita!

1992 [COLOR="Red"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Cherokee[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Laredo[/COLOR] 4.0
[] IIIIIII [][/CENTER]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"]Maroon Jeep Club Member #[/FONT] [/SIZE][FONT="Arial"] [SIZE="1"]who knows[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
MaroonedXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
chowner
2014 WK 

its so easy to do on my 98 and the belt is only around like 30 bucks. Just replace it.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
captain_ruggy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It's really not that hard to do. Once you've done it and you know what bolts to loosen and stuff.
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
tail_chaser
1994 XJ Cherokee 

No lie I just got done putting in a goodyear gator back belt. Wow. Thats weird but awesome at the same time.

Yea it is really easy to change. Took me all of 20 mins.
Unread 08-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
captain_ruggy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yeah I always used the gatorbacks, except for the last one I put on the jeep was a cheap one. it's less then a year old and has cracks in it. It's going to get replaced with a Gatorback very soon.
Unread 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Cerealdaemon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

is there a specific size of gatorback belt? I'm looking to get a new one too.
Unread 08-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealdaemon
is there a specific size of gatorback belt? I'm looking to get a new one too.
Just tell the parts house your model year and engine configuration, and they will give you the correct size belt.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
chow

man gaderback suck, just stick with OEM, ya its a bit more, but NEVER had any problems with it, no noise

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #11
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Put a Gatorback in about 3 weeks ago while we had the radiator out. I've been told that small cracks in the ribbed side are OK within certain limitation, but changed it anyway. It was pretty easy, though we had lots of room to work w/the rad and housing out.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.