Cherokee roof removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee roof removal

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee roof removal

Does anyone have any experience of removing the roof of a Cherokee? or is there any website with information about it? I'm just looking at the possibility and wondering what would have to be done. Would a roll cage need to be installed? or possibly remove only certain places. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
xjhound
1990 XJ Cherokee 

why removing the roof and yes definatley a cage what little structural support the xj has will be completley gone with no roof. You will defianatley have to support the sub alot
xjhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

While I don't have personal experience I do know that the Cherokee is built very flimsy. The frame is part of the body (unibody) and requires the whole body for structural support, roof included. Even with sub-frame stiffeners Cherokees experience body movement where doors and the hatch line up differently than before extreme articulation and harsh trails.
You would definitely need to have a beefy roll cage to recover the stiffness that the roof provided if you remove it.
I've seen some people put in a support under the rear seat, from door frame to door frame as well as frame stiffeners and a cage.
I see you're new here, search roof, cage, etc. for more info.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Don't do it the roof is a major structural support.

Tags
cherokee , removal , roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.