Cherokee Rear Drive Shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Rear Drive Shaft

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
kyleward
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Rear Drive Shaft

Just got a lifted 89 Cherokee base with a manual transmission, looked it over and it seems when the 4.5" lift was installed nothing was done to the transfer case or rear drive shaft. A buddy was saying i need to lengthen the rear drive shaft but I thought I needed to put a transfer case drop kit in. If you can give me your input on what should be done I would appreciate it. If the Drive Shaft needs to be lengthened how do I do that?

Please help!!

kyleward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The correct thing to do is to install a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a double cardan drive shaft. With an older XJ Cherokee you might (or might not) be able to get away with a transfer case drop.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

SYE or run it like it is.
JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
bigbadduck
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have an 87 with 4" lift and I started out with tc drop and eventually had to do a sye, I would recommend just doing the sye
bigbadduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.