cherokee p1391 code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cherokee p1391 code

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
bluelake08
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cherokee p1391 code

ok 1998 cherokee sport 4.0 fuel inj.4 door auto trans.2 wd.2 weeks ago crank but no spark.check engine light and code p1391.so replaced cam( this model year its actually a ignition pick up sensor) and crank position sensors.used OEM MOPAR sensors for both.Bam! cranked up and ran fine.used a scangauge plus and cleared codes.check engine light went away.then a day later came back on.cleared went off.stayed off for 3 days then back on still same p1391.jeep cranks right up and runs great.no issues.so i have been doing this for past week.the light still keeps coming back on and staying.and i hate seeing that light.hate it.cleared today,back on a few min ago when i started it.sometimes it waites until im driving to come on not always when i crank it.Unpluged both and made sure connectors were good and they look like clean brass.What the @$##%^%#@.any one have any ideas?especially when it is cranking and running fine.jeep sat for 6 months with this light on and code showing but had to wait to until i could afford mopar sensors.any thing else that throws that code but its not the cps's?please help.cant stand this anymore.if jeep didnt crank and run great then its easyier to track down when ots broken but when running good what could it be.thank you very much for your help.........-Brad aiken S.C.........

bluelake08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It could still be the cam position sensor. It will run without one but that light will come on. Have you checked the wiring going to it for rubbing etc?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My '99 diagnostics manual says that the distributor rotor or rotor drive may be loose. Remove the distributor cap and check for side-to-side play in the rotor. Some rotational play is normal, excessive side play is unacceptable.

Check the wiring harness from the distributor, along the firewall, to the PCM. Check for it being penetrated and exposing wires.

The CPS harness enters the fuel injector wiring conduit then exits out the end where it curves up to the main harness along the firewall. Check the area of the harness where it exits the conduit and curves to the main harness. There have been cases where the harness chafes on the end of the fuel rail, and chafes on the end of the rocker cover.

P1391 will trigger when the failure counter reaches 96 for 2 consecutive trips.

If the rotor is okay and there is no harness defects, I suggest you clear the PCM adaptive memory and see if the CEL comes back.

CJ7-Tim has a process for clearing the PCM memory. See if you can find it in his previous posts, or by PMing him.

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.