Cherokee-front end wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee-front end wobble

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 05-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
themuskie

Cherokee-front end wobble

I have a 2001 Cherokee sport 4X4, 4.0. I get a really bad wobble in the front, ONLY when I hit 50-55 mph. The tires are new, theres new front shock's, stabilizer & I just put in new pads & rotors.(I do tow a 18' boat on a regular basis-figured I'd throw that in there.) What is that wobble...? I'm assuming its either the tie rods or ??

Thanks for any help-

Drive straight turn left...

themuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
sizzle-chest

hey, i had the same problem with my 76 F250. from 45-50 mph i got a bad wobble thing going on, but i would break through it. I think it was because my tires werent balanced correctly. But other than that, i couldnt tell ye. I should mention that i had 35's on it without any lift, so that could have had something to do with it.
sizzle-chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Like sizzle-chest said, it could be the tire balance... also possible that the steering stabilizer is worn out -- I replaced mine and it took care of that problem on my 86. The stabilizer cost me about $36 and was easy to replace.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The stabilizer will help solve the problem, but it is not neccessarily the entire solution, and will only mask another problem. Check alignment, tie rods, hubs, ball joints...... Whole front end inspection basically.......

Oh, and search the forum under "Death Wobble" ..... you'll see that 1. it happens alot & 2. There are lots of causes....

you may have just a slight wobble now, because if it were "Death Wobble" You would have posted something like.... "holy cr*p, front end felt like it was going to shake the steering wheel out of my hands". BTDT!!
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
FRAYZ99

I also have a 2001 sport, stock, but i put new tires and Crager soft 8's on it . I had the worst wobble at 50mph on the nose, i was sure i balanced the tires, then I rebalanced and rebalanced. Finally after about 3 rebalances the wobble disappeared......Dont give up!
FRAYZ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
themuskie

Thanks guys. Aprreciate the info....I just got new tires on last night & it took care of the wobble...I still get a little, little bit when I brake down from 55-45...almost unnoticable...
themuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.