Cherokee Diesel - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Diesel

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #61
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post

The second WVO tank will be behind the rear seat between the wheel wells.
would you ever be interested in a one-tank solution? (or at least relocating the second tank under the vehicle somewhere).

as far as i've read, if you have heated fuel lines and allow for the pre-warm up this can be accomplished...

i value the ability to flip down the seats and haul larger items (i use a JL Vantage box for a subwoofer for example, my amps are under the rear seat). jack on the roof rack, etc... to maximize cargo space.

i would be really interested in ideas on a one tank system that could run biofuel or diesel at any given time...

i'll even be your guinea pig if you want to me to send a jeep your way...

my goal is a stealth "factory" look to the installation... that would pass for a normal vehicle....for the most part.

Jean-Claude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #62
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

if it were me doing this, i would make it 3.5" and try to fit 33s. 6.5 is a little top heavy and that "24 mpg highway" from the diesel will be less than what you were hoping for if you're that high up.

but good luck!!

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #63
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim
if it were me doing this, i would make it 3.5" and try to fit 33s. 6.5 is a little top heavy and that "24 mpg highway" from the diesel will be less than what you were hoping for if you're that high up.

but good luck!!
Yeah. The 6.5" kit is more than I needed considering I only want 33"s. I ended up going with a 4.5" AAL kit from rough country. I picked it up on craigslist brand new for half price (which is really cheap, considering RC is inexpensive to begin with). I'm runnin 32.5"s on 17"s. I get 11.5 mpg with a roof rack and toolbox on top with the stock 4.0.

Hopefully Koch will have his adapter finished by may, gas is killer at 11-13mpg. Lol.
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #64
Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
would you ever be interested in a one-tank solution? (or at least relocating the second tank under the vehicle somewhere).

as far as i've read, if you have heated fuel lines and allow for the pre-warm up this can be accomplished...

i value the ability to flip down the seats and haul larger items (i use a JL Vantage box for a subwoofer for example, my amps are under the rear seat). jack on the roof rack, etc... to maximize cargo space.

i would be really interested in ideas on a one tank system that could run biofuel or diesel at any given time...

i'll even be your guinea pig if you want to me to send a jeep your way...

my goal is a stealth "factory" look to the installation... that would pass for a normal vehicle....for the most part.
Putting the tank underneath is not an option, due to there is no space and you want the tank inside to keep it warm. A custom tank could be made to replace were the spare tire would be and give you more floor space.

With WVO you have to start it on Diesel till it gets up to WVO temp (160) degrees and then switch it over. When you shut the car off it also has to be purged with Diesel to clean the lines and filters out so they do not plug up.

I guess the decision is Boom Box or WVO which is more important?
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #65
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Putting the tank underneath is not an option, due to there is no space and you want the tank inside to keep it warm. A custom tank could be made to replace were the spare tire would be and give you more floor space.

With WVO you have to start it on Diesel till it gets up to WVO temp (160) degrees and then switch it over. When you shut the car off it also has to be purged with Diesel to clean the lines and filters out so they do not plug up.

I guess the decision is Boom Box or WVO which is more important?
that's actually not a bad location, as long as there's no venting of gas into the cabin (maybe carpet it too to fit in better). btw the JL vantage box goes on the other side and is very small... so you can have the best of both worlds. pop the spare on the roof and your good to go.

mine isn't carpeted, but it looks like this (and produces big enough bass for most people).

.... would be sweet to be able to fill the secondary tank from outside the vehicle .... but that might be tough to do....
(i thought the secondary tank was for normal diesel just to start the engine, and you'd use the main tank for biodiesel??)
Jean-Claude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #66
Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
that's actually not a bad location, as long as there's no venting of gas into the cabin (maybe carpet it too to fit in better). btw the JL vantage box goes on the other side and is very small... so you can have the best of both worlds. pop the spare on the roof and your good to go.

mine isn't carpeted, but it looks like this (and produces big enough bass for most people).

.... would be sweet to be able to fill the secondary tank from outside the vehicle .... but that might be tough to do....
(i thought the secondary tank was for normal diesel just to start the engine, and you'd use the main tank for biodiesel??)
That would work, the tank could be the same shape as the panel and could be even have a carpeted panel over it. It could be filled from the outside with another filler neck to duplicate the factory one. It is not required but could be done that way. You want the WVO tank inside to keep it warm and use the stock tank for diesel. You don't want the diesel smell inside anyway.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #67
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well guys, crapped on, yet again, by the EPA.

I finally got in contact with the guy who does inspections and whatnot. This is what he said:

1. The engine has to be offered for said vehicle as an option (in the states). If there was a diesel offered in the usdm XJ, then one could swap the engine in, and change the fuel type to diesel. He says this is pretty much how it goes nationwide, due to the EPA.

2. Another stipulation affecting swaps: even if I could swap in a diesel, said engine would have to be as new (same year as jeep) or newer, to swap in. The OM617 diesel wouldnt pass in my jeep (it's a 1999). I'd have to use a newer Bluetec or one of their newer CRD's.

3. He said you can retitle as a custom build, but it is very likely that the DOT would block your tag and try to screw you as soon as they saw the diesel box checked on your VIN. You could get away with farm use and trailering to OHV areas, but probably couldn't get it on the road.

4. Titling as a kit build isn't possible, at least in my district, as it's still clearly a XJ and did not sustain and significant body replacement or frame alteration.

So I guess that sums it up really, at least here in NC.

The only option I can see at this time is to buy a 1995 and down XJ and fly under the radar. Guess I'll start looking for one.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #68
Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrimm View Post
Well guys, crapped on, yet again, by the EPA.

I finally got in contact with the guy who does inspections and whatnot. This is what he said:

1. The engine has to be offered for said vehicle as an option (in the states). If there was a diesel offered in the usdm XJ, then one could swap the engine in, and change the fuel type to diesel. He says this is pretty much how it goes nationwide, due to the EPA.

2. Another stipulation affecting swaps: even if I could swap in a diesel, said engine would have to be as new (same year as jeep) or newer, to swap in. The OM617 diesel wouldnt pass in my jeep (it's a 1999). I'd have to use a newer Bluetec or one of their newer CRD's.

3. He said you can retitle as a custom build, but it is very likely that the DOT would block your tag and try to screw you as soon as they saw the diesel box checked on your VIN. You could get away with farm use and trailering to OHV areas, but probably couldn't get it on the road.

4. Titling as a kit build isn't possible, at least in my district, as it's still clearly a XJ and did not sustain and significant body replacement or frame alteration.

So I guess that sums it up really, at least here in NC.

The only option I can see at this time is to buy a 1995 and down XJ and fly under the radar. Guess I'll start looking for one.

-Grimm
What happens if you buy the Jeep out of state and bring it in?
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #69
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest

What happens if you buy the Jeep out of state and bring it in?
It still has to comply to state law before it can be tagged.
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #70
Bailx
2001 XJ Cherokee 

anyone know if using this exhaust would cause any problems with a future swap to that OM617 engine?

Borla Part # 140071 Cat back Exhaust
http://www.borla.com/products/produc...rod_sku=140071

my muffler is falling apart and i was looking to possibly upgrade to something like that, just want to make sure there wouldn't be any issues with the diesel conversion...
Bailx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #71
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailx
anyone know if using this exhaust would cause any problems with a future swap to that OM617 engine?

Borla Part # 140071 Cat back Exhaust
http://www.borla.com/products/produc...rod_sku=140071

my muffler is falling apart and i was looking to possibly upgrade to something like that, just want to make sure there wouldn't be any issues with the diesel conversion...
It shouldnt other than the CC.

What I mean by this is when you do the diesel swap, with any exhaust system designed for gasoline engines, you'll need to remove the CC (catalytic converter) from the exhaust system. If it isn't removed, it will quickly become stopped up with soot from the diesel exhaust.

In my opinion, if your going to be swapping in a diesel in the future, it would be a waste of money to invest money into that exhaust system. I say this because you will get the best performance and fuel economy by using a straight pipe exhaust setup with the diesel engine (no cat, muffler, etc, from the turbo back; just properly sized exhaust pipe, properly sized being not too big, but not to small).

If your intending to go diesel in the near future, and just need something to work until you do the swap, I suggest a cheap muffler from autozone or something.

-Grimm
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #72
Northwest

Quote:
It shouldnt other than the CC.

What I mean by this is when you do the diesel swap, with any exhaust system designed for gasoline engines, you'll need to remove the CC (catalytic converter) from the exhaust system. If it isn't removed, it will quickly become stopped up with soot from the diesel exhaust.

In my opinion, if your going to be swapping in a diesel in the future, it would be a waste of money to invest money into that exhaust system. I say this because you will get the best performance and fuel economy by using a straight pipe exhaust setup with the diesel engine (no cat, muffler, etc, from the turbo back; just properly sized exhaust pipe, properly sized being not too big, but not to small).

If your intending to go diesel in the near future, and just need something to work until you do the swap, I suggest a cheap muffler from autozone or something.

-Grimm
If noise is not a problem a straight pipe would work, I think you will get tired of the noise after a while. One point to remember gasoline mufflers have smaller baffle holes then do diesel mufflers. If you use a gasoline muffler it will plug up from the diesel soot.
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #73
Northwest

Quote:
It still has to comply to state law before it can be tagged.
I thought California was bad, that is just the reason I moved to Idaho. No smog required.
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #74
Wolfie

Lots of good info. I want to see where this ends up.
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #75
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

As far as I know, in PA it would require a full inspection and a reconstuction or special buld tag to get on the road.

Dont you love how the enviromental proitection idiots would stop you from doing something that would use less resources and be recycling old parts and another person's waste?

Tags
cherokee , conversion , diesel swap , fuel economy , mercedes forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.