Cherokee Diesel - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Diesel

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #46
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

when you swap this OM617, is there any way to use the in-dash guages? (or at least similar sized ones that could be swapped in).

i'm really interested in this project, but i need to 'girlfriend/mom/bad driver' proof this thing in the process.... in the event someone else drives it.

for me, ideally, it would look "stock" but run this engine.

Jean-Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #47
Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
when you swap this OM617, is there any way to use the in-dash guages? (or at least similar sized ones that could be swapped in).

i'm really interested in this project, but i need to 'girlfriend/mom/bad driver' proof this thing in the process.... in the event someone else drives it.

for me, ideally, it would look "stock" but run this engine.
I seen no reason you could not use the stock gauge senders on the OM617 engine. There is a company that makes a sender conversion for it for a tach if you have one.
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #48
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

^^ thanks for that info

i don't suppose there is anyone else out there besides mercedesdiesel4x4.com doing these installations for people?

i like to do everything myself on my jeep as far as mods.... but when it comes to engines i prefer to let the professionals handle it... especially on a diesel...

they are booked up for at least 4 months though, and don't do automatic transmissions.

i'm looking to buy a 2001 Cherokee and have this OM617 engine swapped... anyone know any other sources?
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #49
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anything is possible. Just make sure the vehicle you are converting falls outside of state emissions testing in your state. Here in NC, anything under 1995 is exempt in most counties.

If you can't make your stock or an aftermarket tach work, you can always make a rotation counter with a simple rotation counter circuit and a magnet epoxied to the crank pulley. Just google "rotation counter".

I've been monitoring this thread since I made it a while back. I ended up buying a 1992 wrangler, selling it and making 2000$ in the process. Then buying a rust free 2wd 1999 XJ for 650$ and converting it to 4x4 and lifting it. I have less than 1200$ in the jeep and a parts jeep that i pulled a ton of spare parts off of, then scrapped. I still hope to put a diesel in it soon.

Speaking of which, I spoke to Nathan at Koch Enterprises last week, and am excited to tell you that he's is hoping to start R&D on an adapter for automatic XJs. He said that it'll be done by may at the earliest. My XJ is auto, so I'm waiting, with high hopes, and fingers crossed that he'll come through with the adapter.

Anyhow, best wishes folks. I'll keep you updated as things fall into place.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.

Last edited by jgrimm; 02-01-2012 at 07:06 PM..
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #50
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And Jean, be careful with the jeep you buy to swap the diesel into. Some states are really picky. Vehicles here in NC newer than 1995 have to pass OBDII emissions unless they are diesel. I've also heard rumors that some counties require a tailpipe sniffer.

Assuming that you are in NC, the only way to avoid emissions is to:
1. Live in an emissions free county that does not require emissions testing. This works, but if you ever move, your out of luck.
2. Buy an XJ older than 1996, since it's exempt from emission by year. This only works if your county doesn't require the dreaded tailpipe sniffer (most counties don't).
3. Change the fuel type on the title to diesel by going through the DMV (I'm looking into this now and will let you know how it goes).

Not sure what state you are in, but thoroughly read and check the laws in your area, or you could end up with a really nice (and expensive) yard ornament.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #51
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about other states, but in NJ if the diesel engine/vehicle was produced before 1997 there are zero emmision controls set in place. Mechanical diesels are a joy to work on since everything is run off gears and simple on off switches. I have a 7.3 IDI in my old Ford and its never let me down. Iv beeen thinking of possible diesel swaps into my Cherokee and this option is sounding mighty good. I would say that a mechanical diesel only needs a few wires: starter, fuel solenoid, GP harness and tach if you wanted one. I can totaly disconnect my batteries after its running with out any issues.
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #52
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Not sure about other states, but in NJ if the diesel engine/vehicle was produced before 1997 there are zero emmision controls set in place. Mechanical diesels are a joy to work on since everything is run off gears and simple on off switches. I have a 7.3 IDI in my old Ford and its never let me down. Iv beeen thinking of possible diesel swaps into my Cherokee and this option is sounding mighty good. I would say that a mechanical diesel only needs a few wires: starter, fuel solenoid, GP harness and tach if you wanted one. I can totaly disconnect my batteries after its running with out any issues.
Thats why I would love to have an older mech injection diesel. No electronics to fail (for the apocolypse ), they run forever and are very simple
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #53
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

anyone know which engine this guy is referring to here:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/1489522-post9.html

Quote:
The M.B. Pre-Chamber engine, is perhaps one of the only engines which Will run and run perfectly on Unheated, Veggy, From stone-cold, all year round here in the U.K, where its well known we dont get that great weather .....
i was kind of surprised to see someone running cold vegetable oil and not having problems.
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
Northwest

Quote:
^^ thanks for that info

i don't suppose there is anyone else out there besides mercedesdiesel4x4.com doing these installations for people?

i like to do everything myself on my jeep as far as mods.... but when it comes to engines i prefer to let the professionals handle it... especially on a diesel...

they are booked up for at least 4 months though, and don't do automatic transmissions.

i'm looking to buy a 2001 Cherokee and have this OM617 engine swapped... anyone know any other sources?
I am just starting to do Jeep Cherokee conversions in the Northwest. transmissionadapters.com had and 617 adapter for the automatic but uses a GM automatic. I have a 89 Jeep Cherokee conversion on the forum here.
northwestdieseloffroad.com
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #55
Northwest

Quote:
anyone know which engine this guy is referring to here:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/1489522-post9.html

i was kind of surprised to see someone running cold vegetable oil and not having problems.
I find this hard to believe, I have been doing WVO conversions for a number of years and there is no way for the oil to get from stone cold to 160 degrees that fast. It has to be 160 degrees for proper burning and to prevent coking in the cylinder. I have seen customers cutting corners on WVO temperatures and getting away with it for a while, only to destroy there engines later on.
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #56
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Northwest is correct.

You can run it straight. It will run. But its bad for the engine. Don't cut corners with WVO if you want the engine to last. Sure the engine will run, but it won't last.
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #57
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, i believe even rudolph diesel said not to do that (even though he did originally design it for peanut oil, it had to be a certain temp).

that jeep cherokee on your website looks like an interesting project... i'd be curious to see what the final product would look like painted, etc...

how do your prices compare with koch enterprises?

Link to their Prices

Unread 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #58
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also, I made a few calls last week.

First, I contacted Koch Enterprises. He said that an AW4 automatic Cherokee is probably going to be the next R&D vehicle he buys to develop an adapter for. ETC on said adapter is still around may at the earliest.

Second, I contacted the DMV in my region. I talked to someone and they said that it is indeed possible to change the fuel type on your registration. I explained my intentions, and they said it should be do able. I just need to have it inspected by a local DMV officer and passed. I am going to call the inspector that does all the inspecting in the morning and ask directly. I'll post an update as soon as I talk to him.

-Grimm
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #59
Jean-Claude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
transmissionadapters.com had and 617 adapter for the automatic but uses a GM automatic.
northwestdieseloffroad.com

i guess you mean this one

http://transmissionadapters.com/Mercedes%20diesel.htm

Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel to Chev 700R4 automatic transmission

parts look high quality, if a bit expensive.

that's not going to be ideal (on any kind of large scale) i wouldn't think.

any plans to do your own AW-4 adapter? (like koch is planning on doing).

as much as i'd love a manual trans. they are a lot harder to find in used cherokees than the automatics.

and... sorry to be long winded.... but on a 2-tank system, where do you like to put your extra tank? (i'd be looking to make the jeep look as "factory" as possible as far as that goes).
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #60
Northwest

Quote:
i guess you mean this one

http://transmissionadapters.com/Mercedes%20diesel.htm

Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel to Chev 700R4 automatic transmission

parts look high quality, if a bit expensive.

that's not going to be ideal (on any kind of large scale) i wouldn't think.

any plans to do your own AW-4 adapter? (like koch is planning on doing).

as much as i'd love a manual trans. they are a lot harder to find in used cherokees than the automatics.

and... sorry to be long winded.... but on a 2-tank system, where do you like to put your extra tank? (i'd be looking to make the jeep look as "factory" as possible as far as that goes).
Most the conversions I do are Cherokees with the AX-15 transmissions, due to the fact that there are no adapters for the automatic. Due to the cost of tooling and design, I am waiting for Koch to get theirs done. The only alternative is to to go to a GM transmission.

As far as cost of building these, I think people will pay the price if it is done well, there is nothing with a reliable diesel that comes close.

The second WVO tank will be behind the rear seat between the wheel wells.

Tags
cherokee , conversion , diesel swap , fuel economy , mercedes forum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.