Cherokee Diesel - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee Diesel

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #31
DPDISXR4Ti

Okay, you sold me. What does the OM617 weigh? Is there a 5-speed that bolts up to it without an adapter?

Unread 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #32
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil12 View Post
It is not quite that simple to crank up the power, you would need to change the injection pump and add the intercooler and some other mods however people have done much more than 300HP with the proper applications. Check this site Diesel Performance Tuning - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
Actually, it is that simple. An injection pump is not necessarily necessary with sub 200 hp goals. With an intercooler, turbo and other mods of the sort, you will achieve more than enough power to crawl on up a mountain or cruise down the freeway. Note that the Mercedes Unimog only has 88hp and it has been deemed one of the most capable offroad rigs ever produced.
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #33
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
And do what? Put on 2 inches of lift, 31" tires and some KC hi-lights?

Come on man be original, here's your chance
Ahhhh! I know right? (I was thinkin 4" Lift, 3" Body and 33" tires by the way )
Problem is, I have so many things going on and I am fixing so many cars, that I dont have time to build a jeep like this for myself! haha!

Also, I just got accepted into school (I am a double major, and time is about to get mad tight) and probably wont be able to finish in time. If I built this jeep, it would be soooo solid and reliable. I would even hop in and drive it across country! Its just time that is killing me now. Time and the fact that I am getting a amazing deal on a YJ (I have alwaysssss wanted a YJ). My YJ is going to feature some custom stuff not seen on most.

Anyhow, I will be building one eventually!

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #34
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.

BTW, I love the 2.8 CRD. It's got several issues, most of which brought on by stupid emissions requirements, but a common rail is not a good drop in due to it's complexities and expense.

I wonder if the Mercedes radiator can be made to fit into the XJ/MJ header panel.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrimm View Post
Thats odd. Here in NC, you just have to pass safety inspection on vehicles older than 1996 (1995 and below)

OBD-II started in 1996.

What kind of tests must your vehicle pass in NY?
Ny has a "safety" inspection. They don't give a @$#! about safety - I was able to get a deathtrap past inspection.

All the treehuggers care about is emissions. They plug the computer in and make sure there are no codes. If you so much as fart in the car a month before inspection, FAIL. If you forget to tighten your gas cap ... FAIL.

We're nearly as bad as California.
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #36
Phil12
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrimm View Post
Actually, it is that simple. An injection pump is not necessarily necessary with sub 200 hp goals. With an intercooler, turbo and other mods of the sort, you will achieve more than enough power to crawl on up a mountain or cruise down the freeway. Note that the Mercedes Unimog only has 88hp and it has been deemed one of the most capable offroad rigs ever produced.
I'm not disputing that you will have enough power to crawl up a mountain or drive the freeway, all I'm saying is to start trying to get more power you really want to do your homework. I agree that you need an intercooler almost before you do much of anything else, it won't add power itself but everything else you do is going to increase exhaust gas temps and there are a lot of people who have melted the pistons in their engines by not controlling these temps. Also install a temp sensor then start playing with the other stuff then you can keep an eye on whats happening. I would love to put a diesel in my Jeep. I wounder what the difference in acceleration would be as far as the difference in tire size, my Mercedes has 14" rims and my Jeep has much larger diameter tires so it would take a little longer to get everything turning. I saw an article a few years back that said Unimog was going to make their version of a SUV that was meant only for exploration in really remote areas, that would be interesting to see.
Phil12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #37
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm not disputing that you will have enough power to crawl up a mountain or drive the freeway, all I'm saying is to start trying to get more power you really want to do your homework. I agree that you need an intercooler almost before you do much of anything else, it won't add power itself but everything else you do is going to increase exhaust gas temps and there are a lot of people who have melted the pistons in their engines by not controlling these temps. Also install a temp sensor then start playing with the other stuff then you can keep an eye on whats happening. I would love to put a diesel in my Jeep. I wounder what the difference in acceleration would be as far as the difference in tire size, my Mercedes has 14" rims and my Jeep has much larger diameter tires so it would take a little longer to get everything turning. I saw an article a few years back that said Unimog was going to make their version of a SUV that was meant only for exploration in really remote areas, that would be interesting to see.
Homework I have done

It is pretty much a good idea/cheap insurance to run an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) gauge even in stock form. It is an easy thing to install and I would go ahead and write it down as required if you plan on turning up any diesel engine. Definitely a good suggestion Phil12.

An intercooler will actually increase power numbers of the OM617. Along with how well an engine flows air (airflow is the main obstacle that one must overcome in order to make serious power numbers in the case of the OM617), thermal efficiency plays a large role in the functioning of diesel engines. It is honestly difficult to damage the pistons in the OM617. Just like any engine; if you push it way to hard, your going to have problems.
Unread 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #38
leechris
1996 ZJ 

I would deff.. buy a diesel jeep but would prefer the 4bt as well!
leechris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #39
Phil12
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I did a little checking today and my 83 Mercedes 300SD with the 617 turbo diesel engine has a GVW of 4775 LB and my 90 Jeep has a GVW 4900 LB and with the much larger tire diameter on the Jeep I can see where you would be better off tweaking the engine a bit. I have good acceleration in my Mercedes but there isn't much in the way of extra power. You don't feel turbo in the MB until around 2300 rpm so anything you could do to get that to happen sooner would be a big help, like a more open exhaust system so less back pressure.
Phil12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #40
markcap
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've been driving MB's with 617 diesels for ten years. Great, really great engines. But if i were clever enough to figure a way to swap the 4.0L for the 3.0L 617 turbo charged MB diesel, I'd find an old 4sp or 5sp MB standard trans to go with it.
That would be a really great & practical setup.
markcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
xsubarudude
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't they sell Diesel XJs in Canada and Australia?
xsubarudude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #42
markcap
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I did a little checking today and my 83 Mercedes 300SD with the 617 turbo diesel engine has a GVW of 4775 LB and my 90 Jeep has a GVW 4900 LB and with the much larger tire diameter on the Jeep I can see where you would be better off tweaking the engine a bit. I have good acceleration in my Mercedes but there isn't much in the way of extra power. You don't feel turbo in the MB until around 2300 rpm so anything you could do to get that to happen sooner would be a big help, like a more open exhaust system so less back pressure.
turbo kicks in at 1800rpm on the 617.951
markcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #43
Northwest

Check out Koch Enterprises, www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com they have a complete conversion kit for the 617 Mercedes engine in a jeep which includes a modified oil pan. You also have to consider the gearing when going to a diesel from a gas engine.This is a mistake a lot make when doing this conversion and complain about the performance and fuel economy.
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #44
jtctlc
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ diesels

Hello, XJ diesels defintely sold in Australia. I own a 2000 XJ turbo diesel with the 2.5 litre VM. The VM in my XJ is the one with individual cylinder heads and it is not common rail either. In Australia the TD Xj was only available with the 5 sp manual and part time 4wd.

From the web forums that I have seen TD XJs have been sold in Europe and from what I can see are available in both left hand and right hand drive.

Getting hold of a factory built LHD XJ TD would certainly save a lot of the conversion heartache. Although, there is differing opinions on the 2.5 VM TD in that you either love them or hate them. I love mine.

Regards
jtc
jtctlc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #45
gnrlson
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I believe they did sell diesel Cherokee XJ's in Canada and Australia. This is still a pretty fantastic deal.
gnrlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , conversion , diesel swap , fuel economy , mercedes forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.