Cherokee crank no start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
jpmiller97
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee crank no start

My jeep has been running good but one day I go out to start it and it starts right up. Then after like 20 seconds of idling it just shut off. Didn't bogg out or anything. Did some research and everyone said replace the crankshaft position sensor, so I did. Still didn't start. The pcm tests good. When I turn the key to run i get voltage to my coil for 2-3 seconds then it cuts out. I don't get any voltage to my coil when cranking. Thinking cam position sensor or corroded wire?? I need it up and running as it is my daily driver. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
ou2mame

There is a series of tests you can do to test the cam sensor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...ge=2&_k=phiqzw

If you scroll down to the cam sensor test, I would start there.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
jpmiller97
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I tested it and it tested good but the distributor was in poor condition so i replaced that and it came with a new cam sensor. So its not the cam sensor. Are there any other sensors that if they went bad would cut voltage to the ignition coil after 2-3 seconds?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure all your grounds are good and confirm your camshaft position sensor drive gear isn't wrecked. Make sure if you loosen that bolt on your camshaft position sensor to remove it you get prepared to re-calibrate it. Because your jeep will run like dog crap if you don't get it back perfect or not run at all.. here's a video on aligning the cam position sensor: https://youtu.be/Ko75NEe2khY Keep in mind instead of aligning the sprockets like shown on that video, you'd just set your harmonic balancer (crank pulley) to 0 on the timing cover. You can google how to put jeep 4.0 top dead center 0 and find threads & videos on it. Your cam position sensor could be giving a good reading but may not be aligned to where it's sending the correct signal to the engine at the right time to where it will run. The only other thing I could think of is a bad ground or perhaps a bad coil? Maybe try starting the Jeep in Neutral instead of park? There are a lot of weird things that can happen to Jeeps that will make them either run like crap or not at all. That's why some people hate them so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2017, 01:58 AM
tmhyer

Is there a fusible link somewhere that could've burned up? That happened to me on a bronco that was idling then shut ff

2001 XJ 3" RC lift 31x10.5x15 MT Deegans
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
jpmiller97
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I lined up the distributor correctly. The rotor is at 5 oclock when the engine is at tdc. so now when I crank it stumbles and almost starts. It used to show no signs of starting at all but I at least get spark. Leads me to believe my timing chain skipped a tooth so my cam and crank aren't times right. Im guessing the pcm sensed that the cam and crank sensors were off phase so it didnt send spark. It has 180k on it so that seems a bit soon for a timing chain to go bad
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2017, 11:05 AM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmiller97 View Post
I lined up the distributor correctly. The rotor is at 5 oclock when the engine is at tdc. so now when I crank it stumbles and almost starts. It used to show no signs of starting at all but I at least get spark. Leads me to believe my timing chain skipped a tooth so my cam and crank aren't times right. Im guessing the pcm sensed that the cam and crank sensors were off phase so it didnt send spark. It has 180k on it so that seems a bit soon for a timing chain to go bad
Your camshaft sprocket pin may be sheared. Not that long ago a thread was posted that showed the pin sheared.

Cam sprocket pin (88-96 a roll pin, 97-98 a dowel, discontinued in '99) - Item #2.

Cam chain sprocket showing the hole that the pin goes in to.

Location of the rotor when distributor properly timed.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
jpmiller97
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's not the timing because I went out this morning and it started right up. I stopped and started it a few times to make sure it started good and it did multiple times and ran smooth. So I put the jeep back together and when I did that I had to unplug the pcm. I put an auto pcm in my jeep and my jeep is a manual so it was throwing a code for the park/nuetral switch. Now that I have it plugged in again and ready to go it wont start and it doesn't throw that code anymore. does the pcm take some time to calibrate or something? I'm stumped

Tags
camshaft position sensor , cherokee , no spark , no start , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.