Cherokee AW4 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cherokee AW4 Swap

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 06-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
BravoRomeo
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee AW4 Swap

So, I have a 93 Cherokee with an AW4 automatic transmission that is in what I shall call it's golden years. I'm hoping to swap in a newer AW4 soon. My question is, If I try to swap in a transmission from what I believe is a 2000 -ish Cherokee will I run into any compatibility problems with the electronics, or should it just be a direct bolt in? Will there be any huge issues since my vehicle runs OBD I and the Jeep the new transmission was pulled from runs OBD II? Any answers will be much appreciated.

BravoRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1991-1996 transmissions are bolt on for your 93 Cherokee. Low mileage (under 60,000) transmissions can be found for a fair price. Try car-part.com.

Edit: Read this for all you AW-4 swap needs -->> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-19-2010 at 08:03 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
BravoRomeo
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Now on to an AW4 rebuild?

Thank you, I'm going to search my local junkyard soon as well now. Next problem is that I'm told cars traded in on "Cash for clunkers" legally cannot have their transmissions pulled and sold. Does anyone have any info on this? There was a 96 Cherokee in the yard last time I was there with 76,000 miles on it that was a "Clunker", thing was immaculate, and I think this would be a good car to get a donor AW4 from.

I'm also looking into having mine rebuilt. What is the standard process for this, new torque converter at the least I'm assuming? How much does a rebuild usually cost and how long should it take? My local mechanic quoted me at $2,000 and said at least three days. The time frame seems great but the price seems a little much. Any thoughts?

Once again, thanks.
BravoRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clunkers have to be crushed 60 (or maybe 90) days after the paperwork is filled out. The local junkyards are selling anything you want from the clunkers except the engine.

An auto transmission rebuild is $1800-2300, good used AW-4's are often under $500.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
jackdoo
1988 XJ Cherokee 

tim I read your post on the transmission compatability and I had a qustion. I have an 88 cherokee and I my transmission went out But I have a friend who has a 95 tranny and transfer case that he said he would give me if it was compatible. I know it will bolt up but I was wondering if the electronics would work. do you know if its possible?
jackdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the most recent AW-4 swap info. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970 - This isn't my work, but the guy knows his stuff. It tells you everything you need to know about the AW-4.

Unread 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
jackdoo
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man that helped a lot!
jackdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
srhcherokee24
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
1991-1996 transmissions are bolt on for your 93 Cherokee. Low mileage (under 60,000) transmissions can be found for a fair price. Try car-part.com.

Edit: Read this for all you AW-4 swap needs -->> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970
i have a question my buddy has a 98 2wd cheorkee and i have a good trans transfer case out of my 92. He wants to make his 4wd so my question will that work
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoRomeo View Post
My local mechanic quoted me at $2,000 and said at least three days. The time frame seems great but the price seems a little much. Any thoughts?

Once again, thanks.
My friend payed $1000 to get his 42re rebuilt in his ZJ. I thought that was outrageous and that he should have done the AW4 swap.$2000 is a ripoff
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhcherokee24 View Post
i have a question my buddy has a 98 2wd cheorkee and i have a good trans transfer case out of my 92. He wants to make his 4wd so my question will that work
Read the AW-4 swap info at the link provided.

The Transfer Case will needs to have a compatible speedometer output, mechanical vs. electrical, or the engine computer, transmission commuter and speedometer will not function.

Your Buddy should buy the transmission and transfer case from the same donor Cherokee.

Unread 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Read the AW-4 swap info at the link provided.

The Transfer Case will needs to have a compatible speedometer output, mechanical vs. electrical, or the engine computer, transmission commuter and speedometer will not function.
someone told me you can swap the mechanical sensor with the electrical one on the transfer case. I have not done this yet, as my speedometer didn't work before the swap.
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aw4 , cherokee , obd-2 , transmission swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.