cherokee 4.0 oil pressure issue, please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cherokee 4.0 oil pressure issue, please help

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
YeOlCherokee

cherokee 4.0 oil pressure issue, please help

98 cherokee, 4.0, around 130,000 miles

Okay, so i am currently running castrol high mileage 10w30 oil, but it did this before i started using this oil. No change, i just always used this oil in all of my vehicles.

Once the truck has been running for a good while and it is at its full running temperature, the oil pressure drops low at idle. It usually will hang on to the last line before 0, so i'm guestimating that this is 10psi. sometimes it looks like 9, but it could be just the angle im looking at the gauge. It NEVER goes below this point. Although, once i accelerate, it rises again, back up to 40/50, whatever is normal. Also, when it is at this low psi, i can hear like a pup pup pup pup (sorry, i dont know how to describe it better) inside the cabin coming from the engine. My chrysler sebring used to make the same pup pup pup noise.

i am definitely concerned, but everyone is telling me that its SUPER common for jeeps to run this psi at hot idle and that the noise that im hearing is normal as well.

additional info: doesnt burn any oil, doesnt use any coolant, coolant is super clean and green, and oil looks absolutely fine.

Any ideas?

YeOlCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

I've had this before, a new sending unit fixed it.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I only have Renix gauges to look at so correct me if I'm wrong about the later models. My gauge has four lines - 0, line, 40, line, 80. Both my rigs idle (hot idle) run at the first line, between zero and 40...so I would a$$ume, the first line is 20psi...or 19 in your case...and runs at 40 to the next line...aka60 psi.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

As far as the pup, pup, pup noise...I dunno.
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Put a manual gauge in it and see what it is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.