Check Gauges light....Battery indicator at 19.....HELP.. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM
cbourdon

Same issue, short trip to town, everything worked as normal. Stopped for (5) minutes, Jeep would not start. Weak interior lights and (1) click from the starter. Jump started, dash voltage meter pegged and ck gauge light on. Approx a mile down the road, meter came back to normal, ck gauge went out. Got home and let it idle for an hour, for what I thought, to recharge the battery. Again, (1) click from the starter. Long story to a short question, can the alternator go bad that fast ? Grounds and terminal connections solid, mildly dirty ... boom to bust after (5) minutes in the parking lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 11-15-2014, 06:58 AM
moranparamus73

hello all I have a 1998 grand Cherokee this morning I was on my way to work my gauge lite came on my alt gauge was at 9on dash then was pinned to zero with my truck running anyone no what mite be the prob
post #18 of 21 Old 11-15-2014, 07:35 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Test your way to the source of the problem, alternator/wires/wire connections/battery.

If the dashboard battery gauge shows 9 volts, most likely there is an alternator issue. If the dashboard gauge shows 19 volts, most likely there is a battery terminal connection issue, or a wiring issue.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 PM
tjgaddy

regarding spiking meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutta View Post
I have a 2001 Jeep cherokee limited 4.0 straight 6.....It has 108,000 miles on it....I have had it for 2 months....recently the check gauges light came on and the battery indicator was pinned at 19......It was on for about 6 miles or so then went off....back to about 14 volts wich is normal, then it went back on again for a few miles....I shut the truck off clicked the key over without starting it and it read at normal voltage...started it up and for the past few days no light and it reads at normal voltage with no problems.....YET...So what I am wondering is, could it be the alternator and is the voltage regulator in the alternator or could it be the ECM, or PCM....I guess i could replace the aternator with a new one and eliminate the alternator concern...if its the ECM or PCM how pricy is that? let me know you thoughts if you have any....Thank you.
I have had the same issue, turns out under the connector on the fire wall side of the fuse box that sits in front of the battery is a 10mmm nut holding down several wires and commonly these wires corrode and give you a meter spike and eventually the new battery and alternator will fail again, seemingly but it may just be the simple connection needing to be cleaned (sanding cloth or paper or wire brush)
post #20 of 21 Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

same issue here.

I am having the same issue. spikes to 19v, then I turn it off, and it's dead. I brought my alternator to a very trusted shop and had it rebuilt. Popped it in and still same exact problem. I had already checked most of the connections, ground connections etc. but the problem just keeps getting worse as I check more wires. (I started with a P0135 1/1 oxygen sensor heater malfunction, now I'm into this problem and still haven't fixed the O2 sensor issue. I checked the fuses, wires, even each O2 sensor. I determined that power wasn't getting to the O2 sensor. I'm hoping this is just all related and am planning on just going to buy a new battery.) I feel like I'm walking into the woods and I can't find my way out. However, I've been able to fix every other problem I've had with this jeep so I'm confident I will get this one.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you done anything with the battery?

The last two times this has happened to me, it was a shorted battery.

2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.

Tags
19 volts , 9 volts , alternator , battery , check guages light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.