Check Engine Light (CEL) code retrieval issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Check Engine Light (CEL) code retrieval issue

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
JoSCh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Check Engine Light (CEL) code retrieval issue

I've used the forum a bit, but never had a question I couldn't answer with search... now I do.

I've got a 97 XJ that I've had and enjoyed for a few months. Now it is displaying the CEL and I've tried all the ways I could find here and on the intertubes to get the codes. Apparently the process changed in 97, so different things work for different builds. Naturally the one I buy is the transition... Turning the key on, off, on, off, on resulted in nothing. Doing it 4 "ons" resulted in nothing. Pressing the trip reset while turning the key to on 3 times resulted in the odometer displaying, in sequence, 111111, 222222, .... 888888, 999999 with various indicator lights and gauges doing different things at each count. Then nothing. The CEL remains on, it doesn't display any codes. I've let it sit like this for over 1 minute, but not too much longer. I've also tried the trip reset process with the "on" count at 4. Same result as the 3 "ons".

What is the next step?

I do have an Autozone nearby, I just wanted to do it this way if possible. Thanks in advance!

JoSCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Easiest way is to just take it to Autozone if you can and have them yoink the codes out for free.
[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
JoSCh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyViking View Post
Easiest way is to just take it to Autozone if you can and have them yoink the codes out for free.
Yeah, I like to do things myself if at all possible. Other than the Autozone solution, does anyone know what I'm not doing right? Why I'm seeing what I'm seeing?
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What you are seeing is the cluster test method. Just an easy way to determine that the cluster is functioning as is.
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
JHamar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 97 country. I have to do the hold trip reset and 4 ons and offs and it goes through everything then does a code. Some times it wouldn't work. But remember, the code you might get will probably be very generic. My NSS was messed up and the trip computer gave me a 45 code which could of been about 4 different things. Trip to autozone, asked them to check the codes for a check engine light and 2 min later I had pretty specific codes that people here can help with. I would try the hold trip in and do various combinations.
JHamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
JoSCh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks fellas, I didn't realize that the ODBII tester was more robust. I'll stop by Autozone tonite, and probably still mess with it to get the codes myself when I get home. If I find anything interesting I'll post it.
Unread 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
JoSCh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, drove to work with the CEL on, when I came out the CEL is no longer on. It does flash when the key is turned on, so not a bulb or anything... I guess she fixed herself. Awesome.
Unread 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

As you mentioned, 97 was the "transition" year where early models could retrieve codes with the key-on, key-off method, but later builds in that year could not. Anything post 97 cannot use that technique.

As mentioned, best bet if you have a code is to get a code reader or a scan tool as the key-on key off method doesn't retrieve the entire 4 digit code that is necessary for best diagnosis.

Hopefully your light/code won't return. If it does, you know what to do. As the check engine light was on, you have "stored codes" to retrieve, regardless of whether the light is still on.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 , cel , check engine light , cherokee , codes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.