check engine light on 2000 cherokee.. can i check it my self? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > check engine light on 2000 cherokee.. can i check it my self?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
Magic2979

check engine light on 2000 cherokee.. can i check it my self?

well i went and got my oil changed yesterday and i changed my air filter as well and i was driving all day yesterday with not check engine light.. didnt have it going to work. went out to get something to eat while i was still at work and the damn light came on.. Is there a way that i can check the codes myself on my 2000 cherokee or do i have to bring it some where?

My jeep runs and drives fine.. no iradic(sp) idle, starts right up. so im kind of confused.. i checked my gas cap and it on tight...

Also we have had alot of rain in my area.. roads flooding and everything. last night and this morning it was real bad could i of just gotten a sensor wet or something and it is triggering the code?

thanks for any help

Mike D

1988 Cherokee- street xj project
Magic2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
cjwalkeriii
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think you can go to advance and they will read them for free. After that, you need to find what's trippthe code. Sometime there easy, sometimes you have to follow a flow chart to fig it out. Also, someone may know, but i beleive you can turn the key on and off a few times, and the dash lights will blink the code. Best of luck
cjwalkeriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
djshortsleeve

Any auto parts place will read the code for you, IE VIP, Advance, Auto Zone. I had the good ole light come on last week and it came on cause I wasnt paying attention when I got gas and didnt click the cap back on. So you see it could be anything.
djshortsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Ghetto2315
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Since your XJ is running fine, what I would do is disconnect the negative terminal of your battery for 10-15 minutes to reset your PCM. That will turn off the MIL light.

If the MIL light comes back on, then you know you have a problem... if it doesnt, you're good to go

2001 TJ SAHARA - STONE WHITE - 4.0L - 5MT
( ) |||||||| ( )
Ghetto2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalkeriii
Also, someone may know, but i beleive you can turn the key on and off a few times, and the dash lights will blink the code. Best of luck
I don't think this works on the later models.
Unread 10-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
Magic2979

anyone know where i can get a list of what the error codes are so that way i know is wrong wen i have the people at autozone pull the codes tomorrow..

Thanks

mike
1988 Cherokee- street xj project
Magic2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
insane1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
I don't think this works on the later models.
yes that does work on all xj's with the digital odometer, all you need to do is cycle the key 3 times and on the third keep on and the codes will flash where your milage is read.
35x12.50x15 Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains mounted on pro comp alloys

Hers: 2005 Rubicon Stock (for now)
insane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
Mateo94XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic2979
anyone know where i can get a list of what the error codes are so that way i know is wrong wen i have the people at autozone pull the codes tomorrow..

Thanks

mike
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

They should be able to tell you what they are, on an OBDII setup they will scan the codes using a scantool and give you a printout on receipt paper. Should tell you what system is having trouble, but not necessarily what cuased it.

My money's on you didn't tighten your fuel cap - it happens.
Mateo94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Dean O
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When they pull the codes they'll tell you what it is. I had this come up on mine a few months back. They told me it was the gas cap. I tighten it down as best I could, just as I have been doing for 2.5 years and still kept having the light come back on at least once a week. I even went so far as to buy a new gas cap, that didn't solve it so I put the old one back on. For some reason, when I switched back to my regular gas cap I haven't had the problem since. I just decided it must be a Jeep quirk
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you have a 2000 model it will be the same as my 2001. You can do 2 things to get the code.

Turn the key on and off and back to on 5 times without starting the engine.
or...
Hold down the odometer reset button while you turn your key to the on position without starting the vehicle. This will make it run a diagnostic and it will come back with a 2 digit code for you.

If you wanna get the REAL code that tells you exactly whats wrong go to Checker or AutoZone and get them to read it for ya.

Disconnecting the battery for 15 mins is a waste. Wil Badger gave me a good pointer...since the PCM can only hold info for about 15 starts...just start your engine and turn it off about 16 times and see if it resets.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
wipedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryosis
Disconnecting the battery for 15 mins is a waste. Wil Badger gave me a good pointer...since the PCM can only hold info for about 15 starts...just start your engine and turn it off about 16 times and see if it resets.
Or how bout not waste a bunch of freakin time and just go get the codes read for free? Disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything on OBDII and turning your key numerous times doesn't do anything either.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipedawg
Or how bout not waste a bunch of freakin time and just go get the codes read for free? Disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything on OBDII and turning your key numerous times doesn't do anything either.
Wow...thats odd...so your saying that when I tried it and it worked...that it didnt really work?

Yeah whatever...so anyway...

Both those methods will essentially reset your computer but...if you have a problem it will more than likely come back right away or within a 50 miles or so. I know I have unplugged my battery and tried resetting my computer in many ways and it just keeps coming back because I have an issue with the damned thing that needs to be fixed.
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryosis
If you have a 2000 model it will be the same as my 2001. You can do 2 things to get the code.

Turn the key on and off and back to on 5 times without starting the engine.
or...
Hold down the odometer reset button while you turn your key to the on position without starting the vehicle. This will make it run a diagnostic and it will come back with a 2 digit code for you.
This method will NOT WORK on a 2000 model year XJ.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
This method will NOT WORK on a 2000 model year XJ.
Thats odd...worked fine on my buddies 2000 XJ.
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
mylt1

its worked for me to. several times on a 2000 xj 2wd. its my towns police car and has worked every time but its three times not five. never tired the reset button and turn the key.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.