Cheap Walmart lights pics... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap Walmart lights pics...

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #61
XJ-Ken

Hey all.
I'm looking at these pics and I am trying to find out why or how your roof racks go all the way to the front of the roof. (like on bj-666's pics). Is that stock?

My rack stops at the front of the passenger doors and goes all the way to the back. I started doing the lights, but when I mounted them, they are too far back. So what I did was take the rack off and moved it up one bolt hole, so it moves everything up a bit more. It looks good now, but it looks a little crappy in the back because there is a bolt hole exposed in the roof.

I was wondering if I can buy just the bottom rails to go across the whole length of the roof?
Thanks.

XJ-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #62
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Ken
Hey all.
I'm looking at these pics and I am trying to find out why or how your roof racks go all the way to the front of the roof. (like on bj-666's pics). Is that stock?

My rack stops at the front of the passenger doors and goes all the way to the back. I started doing the lights, but when I mounted them, they are too far back. So what I did was take the rack off and moved it up one bolt hole, so it moves everything up a bit more. It looks good now, but it looks a little crappy in the back because there is a bolt hole exposed in the roof.

I was wondering if I can buy just the bottom rails to go across the whole length of the roof?
Thanks.

I think those longer roof racks were on the older pre-97 XJs. I think locked said he used older rails on his to move the lights up.
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #63
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

mine was stock....98.......on sport models i think its shorter...on classic and limited theyre longer (im not 100 percent certain, but ive noticed it that way on a few)
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #64
XJ-Ken

anybody got links to salvage yards for jeeps? I want to try and find a used set of those long racks.
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #65
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look in your local phonebook...
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #66
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98classic
mine was stock....98.......on sport models i think its shorter...on classic and limited theyre longer (im not 100 percent certain, but ive noticed it that way on a few)

Mines a classic, and I have the short rails.. I've noticed the older ones with the longer rails. I'm not 100% either as far as which models came with which rails...
Unread 01-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #67
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

maybe it was just an option from the factory for the longer ones....i really dont know....
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #68
97cherokee

seems like 99 and up have the short ones. i have the long ones and so does my friends 98

1997 Cherokee Sport 2 door. FOR SALE, rolled. drove it home. Drives perfect needs a windshield/rear side window, or for parts! RE 3.5 SuperFlex, RE SYE, RE HD Trackbar, ARB Bullbar+Warn M8000, C4x4 rear bumper, 5 speed, power options, ecco wheels and spare, 2nd Gen RE swaybar discos, OME shocks(1 week old), 31" BFG All terrains on black wagon wheels(4 months old), mopar skids, class 3 hidden hitch, CB w/ PA horn, 102" whip antenna (cool)
97cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #69
ecrab3

Ditto on the long ones. I measured 69" on the rail , not counting the end caps on my 97

BTW, I have my light rack about midway on the drivers window to keep the glare down some on the hood. Where do yall have yours set at? IM thinking I should scoot mine forward some more. I dont think it looks funny, but Swampy thought it was too far back.
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #70
bj-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandroaddie96
Very impressive guys. bj-666, I'm particularly impressed with your installation - looks very clean and I like the look of 6 lights. They fit perfectly. Where did you go after you went through the roof and how did you get the wires from the headliner down to the switches etc. . .?
The fitting i purchased from west marine (a local marine store should have them) and i shaved a little off the bottom of the fitting so the wires could turn and not leave a bump in the head liner. O yea running the wires. there is a plastic molding that runs from just behind your head (when sitting in the drivers seat)down to almost the floor. it is held in with two screws covered by plastic caps just up from your side view mirror. the rest of it is held in with those plastic push in type fastiners i just pulled that molding off and ran the wires behind that. There is even an opening at the top of the dash (when the molding is off ) that was perfect for fitting the wires through. If you need pictures i can take some. just give me a day or two to take it apart again
6" full traction, Q78's, 8.8 ECTED locker,Rocky-Road rock rails, proto fab front bumper, ramsey 8.5e, HPd44 ARB front, OBA, Quick disconects
bj-666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 06:32 PM   #71
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab3
Ditto on the long ones. I measured 69" on the rail , not counting the end caps on my 97

BTW, I have my light rack about midway on the drivers window to keep the glare down some on the hood. Where do yall have yours set at? IM thinking I should scoot mine forward some more. I dont think it looks funny, but Swampy thought it was too far back.

Actually I like that I have the short rails. My lights sit far enough back I don't get the glare. Not only that but they light up my whole field of vision. I don't think it looks funny, I think it worked out perfect IMO.

I like it!

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 01:30 PM..
XJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #72
XJ-Ken

Another question on the install....

Can I use Romex cable (the wiring for household outlets) to run up to the lights on the roof?
It would be perfect because it is black, flat, and has three wires in it. Since it is flat, it will go in the side pillar nicely.

The only reason I question it is because the wires are solid copper and not stranded, like the usual wiring in an automobile.

If it can handle the current of my mig welder, shouldn't it be fine for the lights???

Thanks.
Unread 01-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #73
EnderUSAF

Wire, is wire............. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I used solid #12 for my ground wire to the light bar......
Unread 01-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #74
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

When you drill after the gromet, what are you drilling through? Is it the plate behind where the seatbelt slides up and down? Will this effect the integrity of the seatbelt system?

Am i missing something or is this right?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #75
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj-666
The fitting i purchased from west marine (a local marine store should have them) and i shaved a little off the bottom of the fitting so the wires could turn and not leave a bump in the head liner. O yea running the wires. there is a plastic molding that runs from just behind your head (when sitting in the drivers seat)down to almost the floor. it is held in with two screws covered by plastic caps just up from your side view mirror. the rest of it is held in with those plastic push in type fastiners i just pulled that molding off and ran the wires behind that. There is even an opening at the top of the dash (when the molding is off ) that was perfect for fitting the wires through. If you need pictures i can take some. just give me a day or two to take it apart again
Okay, I got it. . .

You don't have to through the trouble of pulling it apart just to take pictures (unless someone else wants them). I follow what you're saying. Sounds like everything will be nice and neat.

Did most of you just mount the lights to your forward crossmember or did you add a 3rd? My plan is to add a 3rd because I frequently use my roof rack to haul my Laser around and I can take it off quickly when I need that extra clearance on the ferry too .

Good Luck,

Peter

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.