Cheap Walmart lights pics... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap Walmart lights pics...

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #46
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
I guess I was in too big of a hurry to do that. How does it come off for future reference? Do you just undo the 2 little phillips screws on the bottom side of the rack on each side? Thanks!

no...what i did is open the doors, stand on the inside and look at the front of the luggage rack. at the very front, you see where the little black plastic "end" pieces are on either side of the rail (the one going front to back, not the actual slider). those have a little clip in there that hold them on. there is also a torx head screw if you look at it from the top...just loosen those up a bit, then pop the clip for the end pieces. once those are off, just slide the sliders forward and they come right out! took all of 3 or 4 minutes.

Unread 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #47
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98classic
no...what i did is open the doors, stand on the inside and look at the front of the luggage rack. at the very front, you see where the little black plastic "end" pieces are on either side of the rail (the one going front to back, not the actual slider). those have a little clip in there that hold them on. there is also a torx head screw if you look at it from the top...just loosen those up a bit, then pop the clip for the end pieces. once those are off, just slide the sliders forward and they come right out! took all of 3 or 4 minutes.

Yes now I see. As for the 4 bolts I was talking about the're actually torx. Thanks man.
Unread 01-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #48
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
Yes now I see. As for the 4 bolts I was talking about the're actually torx. Thanks man.

anytime
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #49
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, I pulled of the panel where the factory fog light switch is, and there was a harness plug into a dummy plug right where the factory switch should be.. does that mean there is already wiring down there for the fogs? that would be cool if there is!

Anyway, just thought I would check..

Does anyone know?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 02:58 AM   #50
EnderUSAF

I got mine today. I was gonna put them on while I was at work tonight..... but now seeing that I'm the only one working I won't be able to. So I guess I have a project waiting for me when I get off tommorow.
Unread 01-03-2004, 06:09 AM   #51
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sportjeep
Hey, I pulled of the panel where the factory fog light switch is, and there was a harness plug into a dummy plug right where the factory switch should be.. does that mean there is already wiring down there for the fogs? that would be cool if there is!

Anyway, just thought I would check..

Does anyone know?

I saw that too. I think xcmbike said he tapped into those wires for power. I don't remember you might want to PM xcmbike and ask him if he used those wires. I just pulled the harness off and dremmeled out the plastic so I could mount the switch.
Unread 01-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #52
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

ok like I said I sawk at graphics!!!!

But I found the fog lamp switch connector. I tried to draw it in paint. Here ya go!

BTW. is there anyway to save a PDF page to a JPG?

Unread 01-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #53
ecrab3

My advice is to go ahead and just run the wires into the engine compartment. YOu did all the hard work buy tucking and hiding the wire behind the interior, the easy stuff is connecting it. By using your own wire, you can ensure that the guage wire is heavy enough to run the power without worry of melting factory wiring.

Use the blank spot that yall found and just put a nice cool switch with a built in light and run your wiring in conveluted tubing in the engine comparment and at the same time, run you a few extra wires for future accessories. Its a little bit of a pain but in the end its the way to go. YOu never know when you might add a musical air horn or more lighst one day

And word on cheapo wal mart lights I have 4 of the KC knock offs on my roof rack and 2 on the front AJs bumper and they kick arse!
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #54
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab3
My advice is to go ahead and just run the wires into the engine compartment. YOu did all the hard work buy tucking and hiding the wire behind the interior, the easy stuff is connecting it. By using your own wire, you can ensure that the guage wire is heavy enough to run the power without worry of melting factory wiring.

Use the blank spot that yall found and just put a nice cool switch with a built in light and run your wiring in conveluted tubing in the engine comparment and at the same time, run you a few extra wires for future accessories. Its a little bit of a pain but in the end its the way to go. YOu never know when you might add a musical air horn or more lighst one day

And word on cheapo wal mart lights I have 4 of the KC knock offs on my roof rack and 2 on the front AJs bumper and they kick arse!

Ya that's what I did. I went with a 10 gauge wire from the Battery to the rear of the Jeep. Mainly I did it for a small amp, power inverter, extra 12-volt plug in the rear, but it's good to have a hot wire so any time you need power you know where to go. I went with a 60 amp Fuse at the battery just incase it shorts out. Everything running on that power wire is separately fused as well.

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 12:28 PM..
XJ99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #55
bj-666

well i just finished mounting my lights 6 of em they look great and i think they look pro. i used real 14 guage wiring from west marine it is much better quality than anything that came with the kit and it is better than anything at home depot too it took me a while to re-wire every light but i feel better knowing that the wires will not light my jeep on fire. (always a plus)

lights during the day

lights at night

Switches inside

thru roof fitting

following the hood release cable through the firewall

beefed up wiring
6" full traction, Q78's, 8.8 ECTED locker,Rocky-Road rock rails, proto fab front bumper, ramsey 8.5e, HPd44 ARB front, OBA, Quick disconects

Last edited by bj-666; 01-04-2004 at 02:20 PM..
bj-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #56
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj-666
well i just finished mounting my lights 6 of em they look great and i think they look pro. Now i don't want to change but how do i post pics on the board i want to put some up of my lights and wiring. thanx

You have to host them on a seperate server. Unless you are a paying member. Alot of people here use imagestation I hear it's free. I use picturetrail it costs 19.99 a year. Once you get them on the net just copy the address of the picture by using the insert image button.
Unread 01-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #57
EnderUSAF

Here's some pics of my finished product... on the el cheapo lights......

Unread 01-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #58
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Very impressive guys. bj-666, I'm particularly impressed with your installation - looks very clean and I like the look of 6 lights. They fit perfectly. Where did you go after you went through the roof and how did you get the wires from the headliner down to the switches etc. . .?

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 04:51 AM   #59
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderUSAF
Here's some pics of my finished product... on the el cheapo lights......

Looks sweet man! snow ........ ..... .... .. .
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:02 AM   #60
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj-666
well i just finished mounting my lights 6 of em they look great and i think they look pro. i used real 14 guage wiring from west marine it is much better quality than anything that came with the kit and it is better than anything at home depot too it took me a while to re-wire every light but i feel better knowing that the wires will not light my jeep on fire. (always a plus)

lights during the day

lights at night

Switches inside

thru roof fitting

following the hood release cable through the firewall

beefed up wiring

Also very sweet. This has got to be one of the cheapest mods that looks very cool.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.