Cheap Walmart lights pics... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap Walmart lights pics...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-31-2003, 03:46 AM   #31
Atomic Pilot

those wal-mart Blazer lights are a killer deal for ~$17 a set. they arent the greatest to look at, but they work very well.. and they use a standard H3 bulb which can be found anywhere. plus, they are cheap.. which means if one gets whacked off somehow.. youre only out $8.50.

just a few tips to make them even better:

1) dont touch the bulb.. or else bulb go poofie.

2) highly recommended: go to radio shack and buy a 12v automotive relay and use that to switch the lights on. they are cheap and they can handle 30A each. the switch will then only draw as much current as it takes to operate the relay (about .1A). no more melted switch.

3) dont use the switch that comes in the kit unless you use a relay. otherwise.. switch go poofie too.. and it will be the bad kind of poofie.. meltie-poofie.

4) with a little blue RTV, you can make a new seal under the front glass and make the reflector watertight.. otherwise water seeps in a little under the glass. it doesnt collect in the reflector so its not really an issue unless youre picky.

5) make sure if you mount the lights upside down (bolt side up) you flip the reflector. it does make a difference and it keeps the drain hole on the bottom. (see above)

6) dont "twist-together-and-tape" your wires. otherwise you risk the ultimate doom: Jeep go poofie. use proper wire connectors (crimp on is fine solder is better) and then tape or heatshrink over those to seal them. you'll be proud of your installation and it wont be a fire hazard.

thats all i can think of right now.

-Joe-

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=348905&postcount=207][b][COLOR=red][FONT=arial]Red Jeep Club #80[/url][/color][/font][/b] [b][color=white][/color]|||||||[color=white][/color][/b]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59124]Certain Death Jeep Club #18[/url]
Vampire Jeep Owner #8
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65812]Were In The Chat Room Club Founder member #8[/url]
Atomic Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 06:58 AM   #32
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sportjeep
Hey thanks. Alright, I now have both sets.. You were right, the amber ones you have produce a much cooler light.. Now, I am torn as to which to use.. I wonder if both sets with the amber in the middle and the whites on the outside would look cool.. or go back and swap one set of drivings for the ambers and put the other set of driving lights on the bumper... hm.. or reverse lights??

Hey, does putting lights on the roof break any laws? Can you use them on the road?

Your ok as long as you don't use them on the road. You will blind other drivers if you use these on the street. I will use them for off road use and I think they give the Jeep a more " Off-road look".

Like Atomic Pilot mentioned, I soldered my wires together when I twisted them up. Also you may want to check where the drain hole is. On the lights I bought the hole was on the bottom towards the bolt... As for the switch, I used a heavy duty 50 amp toggle switch. So far it is not getting warm, if you want to go the relay route that wouldn't be a bad idea. I will just keep an eye on mine.... Another thing make sure you use the fuses that come with the kit. If a wire shorts out you want the fuse to blow, not the Jeep go poofie. Good tips Atomic Pilot
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #33
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Pilot

2) highly recommended: go to radio shack and buy a 12v automotive relay and use that to switch the lights on. they are cheap and they can handle 30A each. the switch will then only draw as much current as it takes to operate the relay (about .1A). no more melted switch.
Hey Atomic Pilot,

Those relays, where do they work there way into the wiring setup? Can you give me a little details about that? I have a switch that takes 30 amps, do I need a relay with it?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:59 PM   #34
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Hey Atomic Pilot,

Those relays, where do they work there way into the wiring setup? Can you give me a little details about that? I have a switch that takes 30 amps, do I need a relay with it?

I sawk at drawing but I found this on the net.

Unread 12-31-2003, 03:03 PM   #35
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Hey Atomic Pilot,

Oh I would use a relay with a 30 amp switch. Each set of lights you have should each have came with a 15 amp switch. I think a 30 amp switch with a relay would be cool. I skipped the relay and went with a 50 amp switch. I'll keep an eye on it, I can always go back and wire in a relay if I need to,....
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #36
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info on the diagram.. Nice and easy to follow. Hopefully I will get those lights mounted sometime before the trip to Shamokin.. thats on the 3rd of jan.. better get crackin...
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #37
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the diagram.. Nice and easy to follow. Hopefully I will get those lights mounted sometime before the trip to Shamokin.. thats on the 3rd of jan.. better get crackin...

If you get to them, take some pictures with the digi cam so we can see how they turn out. Also if you have any problems you can't put into words you can post a pic of what your talking about. Man technology!
Unread 01-02-2004, 12:17 AM   #38
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, how did you measure out to evenly space the lights? Do you remember how far apart you made each light?
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #39
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Hey, how did you measure out to evenly space the lights? Do you remember how far apart you made each light?

what i did was mark the exact center of the luggage rack rail(dont use this spot for a light, just for measurement)....then i went 4.5 inches either way from the center and made a mark (thats for the two inner lights...they will be 9 inches apart). then from those two markings, i went another 9 inches to mark the outter lights. that made them all very nice and even.
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #40
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice, looks like that will be great!
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #41
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:

I did it similar to 98classic. I went from the center and went 7" inches from the center to each inner light, and for the outter lights I went 16" inches from the middle mark. (Which turns out to be 9" inches from the the inner light to the outter) Keep in mind I have a magnet mount cb antenna in the middle and was trying to make it all look centered.
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #42
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
I did it similar to 98classic. I went from the center and went 7" inches from the center to each inner light, and for the outter lights I went 16" inches from the middle mark. (Which turns out to be 9" inches from the the inner light to the outter) Keep in mind I have a magnet mount cb antenna in the middle and was trying to make it all look centered.
I also have a mag mount antenna.. sounds like a plan.. I will have to try them and see what happens.. thanks
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #43
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
I also have a mag mount antenna.. sounds like a plan.. I will have to try them and see what happens.. thanks
What I did was place them on the roof (upside down with bolt up) against the roof rack. Move them around stand back and see what looks good. Then from there I measured the distance between the holes.
Also, don't forget to put a piece of plywood down before you start drilling. When the bit gets through the rack it will hit the wood and not the roof!
Unread 01-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #44
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

i took mine off the xj to drill the holes.....
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:55 PM   #45
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98classic
i took mine off the xj to drill the holes.....

I guess I was in too big of a hurry to do that. How does it come off for future reference? Do you just undo the 2 little phillips screws on the bottom side of the rack on each side? Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.