Cheap Walmart lights pics... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap Walmart lights pics...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Cheap Walmart lights pics...

Hey 2000sportjeep if you need any more help let me know..

Switch: (pull the bezel off that surrounds the Stereo and everything, It just pops off........

Ran wire through:

Back of lights:

Inside of Jeep: (I loosened the grab bar bolts to get the wire behind the trim)

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 01:01 PM..
XJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, nice pics.. I have a few questions. What did you wire it to? The fuse box thats already there? What size fixe did you use?

Can you post a pic of the wiring showing where it gets power from and where you grouded it. Thanks. Sorry if it sounds dumb.. kinda knew at this and wanna learn and get it right.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sportjeep
Hey, nice pics.. I have a few questions. What did you wire it to? The fuse box thats already there? What size fixe did you use?

Can you post a pic of the wiring showing where it gets power from and where you grouded it. Thanks. Sorry if it sounds dumb.. kinda knew at this and wanna learn and get it right.

I grounded them to the Jeep. If you look at the Second picture you can see the ground wire behind the screw.
I have it wired straight to the battery. I already had a 10 gauge wire running straight to the battery that runs to the back of the Jeep, So I just tapped into that. I'll get some better pics up tomorrow. Time to finish making my x-mas ham! Later
Unread 12-25-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
chow

Looks nice,
please show us the light pattern

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Looks nice

How come you ran the wires over the trim on the inside

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have any fuses on the lines? Or are they on that big fat line with a fuse?

What guage wire did you use for the battery to the back (I thought that was a great Idea...) What guage did you use for the lights themselves?

Can you give me a basic wiring diagram or just explain a little more what wire goes where?

Thanks, you have been great about all the questions. Pics can help too!
Unread 12-26-2003, 12:40 AM   #7
97cherokee

hey i got u beat, i have those same lights on my light bar but i made it look pro. all the wireing going to the lights is insdie of the roofrack instead of being ziptied to it. the bar is hollow and i was able to run all the wires inside it. it turned out so good that i actually thought of making these and selling them on ebay or something but i dont have enough ambition.
it just looks like a stock roof rack bar with lights on it. u can always ,modify ur setup later on to do the same thing.
the lights themselves are pretty bright at 55w each plus i have 2 100w on the bumper.
presonally i cant see why people pay $200 for a set of lights, walmart is the way to go.

1997 Cherokee Sport 2 door. FOR SALE, rolled. drove it home. Drives perfect needs a windshield/rear side window, or for parts! RE 3.5 SuperFlex, RE SYE, RE HD Trackbar, ARB Bullbar+Warn M8000, C4x4 rear bumper, 5 speed, power options, ecco wheels and spare, 2nd Gen RE swaybar discos, OME shocks(1 week old), 31" BFG All terrains on black wagon wheels(4 months old), mopar skids, class 3 hidden hitch, CB w/ PA horn, 102" whip antenna (cool)
97cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP
Looks nice

How come you ran the wires over the trim on the inside

Good question! I guess sometimes while in a hurry I over look the little things like that.. I did the same thing when I installed my CB antenna...

2000sportjeep: Yes I have 1 fuse at the battery for the 10 gauge power wire, and I used the (2) 15 amp fuses that came with the light kit one for each pair of lights.The (2) 15 amp fuses are installed after the switch.

I used the wires that came with the light kit, as long as you keep the stock 55 watt bulbs in that will be fine. If you plan on running a higher watt bulb I would run a thicker gauge wire up to the lights.

Basically (from the lights) I ran the (2) + wires down to the fuse panel where I used the (2) 15 amp fuses that came with the lights. (I didn't use the fuse panel itself that's just where they are)

From the fuses I ran the (2) wires to the 50 amp switch.

From the 2nd pole on the switch I ran my power wire to the 10 gauge wire coming from the battery. (which runs by the fuse panel) So the wires kinda run under the glove box.

I ran the - wire over the rain gutter and grounded it to the screw like in the 1st pic. I made the ground - wire in a circle for the screw to go through and then tinned it with the solder gun.

OK now for some pics! BTW: I sawk bad with graphics and drawing so this is the best I can come up with!! Oh ya, and if anyone else wants to chime in with some good advice go ahead, you aint gonna hurt my feelings at all.

Hope this helps............

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 01:25 PM..
XJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Oh ya! one more thing. When drilling the holes for the lights in the roof rack, lay a small piece of plywood down under the area where you are drilling. So when the drill bit goes through the rack it doesn't hit your roof! later
Unread 12-26-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
wagnerdw

You wanna come over to my place and wire in all my stuff too?? That looks really good, and I'll bet you don't have to worry about something coming lose down there.

Nice looking pics too.

My only question is:
Did you drill through the body for the wires to go through, or is there a hole there already? I assume you drilled, did you reprime/paint the hole afterwords?

It looks really good though. I'll bet there bright too!
[COLOR=darkslategray]89 Cherokee Larado [/COLOR] [COLOR=darkred]3" Lift, 30" tires, and a 4.0 What do you think I'm going to do with it?[/COLOR]
wagnerdw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #11
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerdw
You wanna come over to my place and wire in all my stuff too?? That looks really good, and I'll bet you don't have to worry about something coming lose down there.

Nice looking pics too.

My only question is:
Did you drill through the body for the wires to go through, or is there a hole there already? I assume you drilled, did you reprime/paint the hole afterwords?

It looks really good though. I'll bet there bright too!

There is already a hole where the rubber grommet is. I had to drill behind the grommet into the cab ...

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures, I actually thought the pic with the fues box looked messy.

BTW: Colorado is a little too far for me to drive, I bet your getting some killer snow though!
Unread 12-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those pictures are great. I think I might actually be able to figure out whats going on! Thanks for all the help. Any more advice that you can think of?
Unread 12-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #13
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Those pictures are great. I think I might actually be able to figure out whats going on! Thanks for all the help. Any more advice that you can think of?
Wait until your finished before you hook up the power wire.
IE: if you are going to run a power wire to the battery go ahead and run the wire just don't energize it until your finished. That's about all I can think of for now. Take plenty of pictures with your new digi cam!
Unread 12-26-2003, 01:11 PM   #14
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
Wait until your finished before you hook up the power wire.
IE: if you are going to run a power wire to the battery go ahead and run the wire just don't energize it until your finished. That's about all I can think of for now. Take plenty of pictures with your new digi cam!
Is it absolutely neccesary to run straight from the battery? Can I just run from a fuse in the fuse box? Or will it overload the ircuit there?
Unread 12-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #15
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Is it absolutely neccesary to run straight from the battery? Can I just run from a fuse in the fuse box? Or will it overload the ircuit there?
Well with 4 lights each set has a 15 amp fuse. So total your going to have an extra 30 amps to take on. You may be able to tap into the + wire for the stock fog lights but I'm really not sure on that. If you can I would go directly to the battery with a heavy gauge wire that way if you decide to mount anything else you will already have the power..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.