Cheap swaybar links - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap swaybar links

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cheap swaybar links

Just wanted to share my cheap swaybar links for my XJ. I recently lifted my WJ and the lift came with longer rear swaybar endlinks. After removing the stock rears a lightbulb went off in my head. I was using the stock links on my XJ with a bit over 3" of lift and every once in a while they would contact my coil springs. I decided to modify the WJ links to work on the XJ since I don't disconnect my swaybar much anymore. Here are the two side by side. The rear links from the WJ are about 3" longer, but they mount different than the stock XJ links so I fabbed up some mounts from 1 1/4" flat stock I had laying around. I drilled the holes in the sides to 1/2" and the hole for the top is 7/16" I then installed them with 1/2"x2.5" bolts for the upper bushings and bracket, and 7/16" bolts for the top mount. They put the swaybar back up to where it should sit and no more hitting the coil springs. I should have removed the tire for a better picture, but I am lazy

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome! Posted in the budget build thread.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.........
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nice !!! Add another to the list things I can rape off of other vehicles for the benefit of my wonderful XJ ! You da man !
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

very cool. Looks way better than the extra 3" of Torino link I welded on. Think a "hitchpin" could make those Discos?
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it would be very easy to make them disco's, I just don't ever disconnect the sway bar.
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yet another thing to add to my 5 Kid Budget Build, that is if the XJ will stop taking my money for stupid stock repairs and let me get the lift kit in before I need to sell it for repair money

Outlawed Offroad Forums

NY State ORV Park Project
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great idea. I am in the same boat as you, 3" of lift and don't really disco. I installed gently used TJ links, they are longer like the WJ links and have a ball joint/boot. No modification/bracket required.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
robhurlburt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

did you just bend the stock in a vice?

great idea BTW
robhurlburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
did you just bend the stock in a vice?

great idea BTW
Yes. I bent it in a vice and cut it to length with an angle grinder.
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

my gf's cherokee has 2" spacers, and i have the left over sway bar links from the rough country 3.25" TJ lift (i got discos). would it be good or bad to replace her stock links with these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204 View Post
Great idea. I am in the same boat as you, 3" of lift and don't really disco. I installed gently used TJ links, they are longer like the WJ links and have a ball joint/boot. No modification/bracket required.
how much longer are the stock TJ links (i have those leftover too)? would those be better than the ones i have from my lift?
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFcavedweller View Post
my gf's cherokee has 2" spacers, and i have the left over sway bar links from the rough country 3.25" TJ lift (i got discos). would it be good or bad to replace her stock links with these?

how much longer are the stock TJ links (i have those leftover too)? would those be better than the ones i have from my lift?
The stock TJ links were just the right length for my 3" lift. If she is only at 2" and the links you have are for an additional 3.25", I would think they may be a little too long.
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204 View Post
The stock TJ links were just the right length for my 3" lift. If she is only at 2" and the links you have are for an additional 3.25", I would think they may be a little too long.
thanks, i had looked into it and the stock TJ links are the same length as the ones for 3-4.5" XJ lifts (length of about 7.5")... unfortunately my TJ's stock links are in pretty bad shape (bushings shot, dust cover gone on one side w/ lots of funk in the grease). so i may just keep my eyes open for a solid set at the right length. i hope to get her jeep a 3" lift kit anyway so that should come with longer links. main priority is getting the fender flares off to clear the 31s
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFcavedweller View Post
thanks, i had looked into it and the stock TJ links are the same length as the ones for 3-4.5" XJ lifts (length of about 7.5")... unfortunately my TJ's stock links are in pretty bad shape (bushings shot, dust cover gone on one side w/ lots of funk in the grease). so i may just keep my eyes open for a solid set at the right length. i hope to get her jeep a 3" lift kit anyway so that should come with longer links. main priority is getting the fender flares off to clear the 31s
Check ebay. You can pick up a set of two brand new links for about $20 shipped.
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
PerrinPockets
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Just wanted to share my cheap swaybar links for my XJ. I recently lifted my WJ and the lift came with longer rear swaybar endlinks. After removing the stock rears a lightbulb went off in my head. I was using the stock links on my XJ with a bit over 3" of lift and every once in a while they would contact my coil springs. I decided to modify the WJ links to work on the XJ since I don't disconnect my swaybar much anymore. Here are the two side by side. The rear links from the WJ are about 3" longer, but they mount different than the stock XJ links so I fabbed up some mounts from 1 1/4" flat stock I had laying around. I drilled the holes in the sides to 1/2" and the hole for the top is 7/16" I then installed them with 1/2"x2.5" bolts for the upper bushings and bracket, and 7/16" bolts for the top mount. They put the swaybar back up to where it should sit and no more hitting the coil springs. I should have removed the tire for a better picture, but I am lazy
Does everything ride right with the sway bar angled that high? Mine is about that high maybe a little higher. I have really bad death wobble and I cant figure out why, I've been fighting this ever since I added 3'' zone lift about 3 months ago. I have an adj. trac bar, I got an alignment (that lasted 24 hrs). I've tried two different sets of wheels and tires. I dont have any play that I can tell in any of the linkage or any of that. the only thing that looks off to me is the angle of the sway bar (maybe links to long?) and it has some side to side play. Any thoughts?
PerrinPockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.