Cheap 3" Lift help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap 3" Lift help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
The 3" rough country kit for 255.00 is all you need. You can redrill the axle maounting hole for the trac-bar to recenter the axle under the jeep. Do not use a 3" block, the AAL will work fine, unless your current leafs are sagging. The AAL is the best thing to go with unless you get new leafs. Shackles will finish off sagging leafs quickly and blocks can cause the leafs to break from the added stress and axle wrap. I would either build a bastard pack, or go with the AAL kit. You need coils, shocks, either AAL/bastard pack/new leafs, redrill trac-bar bracket, possibly longer swaybar links(some need them with 3" some don't), new u-bolts, and I would recommend a 95 wrangler rear brakeline from autozone or the like for 3" of lift. You may need a t-case drop or may not. The Rough country 3" basic kit will have evrything you have to have, and you can upgrade other things as needed and finances allow it.
Thanks! thats a huge help, Thats what I was trying to figgure out is EVERYTHING I will need. Every kit ive looked at has been missing s**t here and there. Well I pulled this one up, What do you think about it? what extras will I need with it??

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1

Thanks again everyone for all yalls input, And Im trying to avoid a Bastard pack cuz im in Fayetteville NC and all the shops around here are on CRACK cuz of Ft Bragg, So they jack the price of everything up... I miss TEXAS!

"If you CAN read this.. Thank a teacher//If you ARE reading this..Thank a SOLDIER"
ArmySniper_87XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have no experience with the zone kit, but it should work fine. The WJ guys like their stuff pretty good.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

awesome... And what do u have as far as fender flares on ur 95xj????

"If you CAN read this.. Thank a teacher//If you ARE reading this..Thank a SOLDIER"
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

None, the fenders are trimmed.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That is a good kit, spend the extra $5 per shock and get the nitros, you'll thank yourself later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySniper_87XJ View Post
Thanks! thats a huge help, Thats what I was trying to figgure out is EVERYTHING I will need. Every kit ive looked at has been missing s**t here and there. Well I pulled this one up, What do you think about it? what extras will I need with it??

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1

Thanks again everyone for all yalls input, And Im trying to avoid a Bastard pack cuz im in Fayetteville NC and all the shops around here are on CRACK cuz of Ft Bragg, So they jack the price of everything up... I miss TEXAS!
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-xj-NY View Post
That is a good kit, spend the extra $5 per shock and get the nitros, you'll thank yourself later.
I planned on that, Do you have any experience with the kit?? and if so did you have to buy any extras that were not in the kit?

Unread 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That kit has all you need excetpt for an adjustable trackbar and bumpstops. Don't waste money on a trackbar relocation bracket if you can't buy an adjustable trackbar now. You can drill a hole on your axle trackbar plate, look that modification up on the DIY side of the forum. Just drill a hole the same size as the one on your axle plate, 1/2" or so to the right of the factory hole. Make sure to follow the thread on how to do it. If you can buy an adjustable trackbar, make sure you buy one like iron rock offroad double shear with the frame side mounting plate. Its a solid setup, worth every penny. My cherokee had 137,000 on it when I did the lift. The front end parts didn't like the lift. I had bumpsteer and vibrations. Centering the front axle with that trackbar fixed my front end issues. Even with the factory steering stabilazed been original and shot, the iron rock trackbar was the magic bullet. I made the mistake of wasting my money on a crappy 3" lift from fat bob's garage thru ebay. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, rushed in before doing my homework here and asking questions. You are going about it the smart way. I've had to replace just about everything from my lift. Had I gone fore a zone or rough country I would have had no issues. I don't have first hand experince with the zone kit but everybody here who has it talks positive about it. I now have 3" rough country leafs and 2.2 performance shocks. My front coils are all that is left from my original lift kit. Only because they are a pain to replace but they are ****y and will have to get replaced too. You should extend your bumpstops, specialy at the front while you have the coils out. You don't want to have to do that later, means taking everything apart again. The rear bumpstops are easy, you can take care of that at any time after the lift but before you go flexing. I'm no expert, just shearing what I've learned from my own mistakes. Xjfever has been very helpful and clearly a guy that knows his jeep stuff, helped me out answering questions several times, solid guy and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySniper_87XJ View Post
I planned on that, Do you have any experience with the kit?? and if so did you have to buy any extras that were not in the kit?
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Right on, Well if you or xjfever can find the rough country setup ill balance the 2 out and get one of them, The kit and bumpstops and a new brakeline hose off a YJ. Ive been told a YJ brake line will bolt right up no mods needed, Or ill pick up some add a line wherever i can find any, If yall know where any of those are shoot me a link please! And where do I find bump stops.. I know Im asking alot of questions and I really am glad yall are willing to answer em all. I guess last 3 favors is shoot me links for the Rough country lift, Bump Stops, And xtra brakeline. My comp refuses to run search engines thats the only reason im asking this. Thank you guys again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-xj-NY View Post
That kit has all you need excetpt for an adjustable trackbar and bumpstops. Don't waste money on a trackbar relocation bracket if you can't buy an adjustable trackbar now. You can drill a hole on your axle trackbar plate, look that modification up on the DIY side of the forum. Just drill a hole the same size as the one on your axle plate, 1/2" or so to the right of the factory hole. Make sure to follow the thread on how to do it. If you can buy an adjustable trackbar, make sure you buy one like iron rock offroad double shear with the frame side mounting plate. Its a solid setup, worth every penny. My cherokee had 137,000 on it when I did the lift. The front end parts didn't like the lift. I had bumpsteer and vibrations. Centering the front axle with that trackbar fixed my front end issues. Even with the factory steering stabilazed been original and shot, the iron rock trackbar was the magic bullet. I made the mistake of wasting my money on a crappy 3" lift from fat bob's garage thru ebay. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, rushed in before doing my homework here and asking questions. You are going about it the smart way. I've had to replace just about everything from my lift. Had I gone fore a zone or rough country I would have had no issues. I don't have first hand experince with the zone kit but everybody here who has it talks positive about it. I now have 3" rough country leafs and 2.2 performance shocks. My front coils are all that is left from my original lift kit. Only because they are a pain to replace but they are ****y and will have to get replaced too. You should extend your bumpstops, specialy at the front while you have the coils out. You don't want to have to do that later, means taking everything apart again. The rear bumpstops are easy, you can take care of that at any time after the lift but before you go flexing. I'm no expert, just shearing what I've learned from my own mistakes. Xjfever has been very helpful and clearly a guy that knows his jeep stuff, helped me out answering questions several times, solid guy and advice.

Unread 04-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #24
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a bastard pack fan myself. Same pack is still running fine. Here's my thread on the build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/l...ogress-295236/

Here's another link to a cheap lift build:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

I may be able to help you out with the YJ brake lines on the cheap. I need to tear through my garage, but I believe I have a set that I never used. I'll let you know Sun night.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you go to Rough Country's wbsite, they show 2 kits for a 3" lift for cherokee vehicles. One is cheaper than the other. The more expensive one includes lower control arms but niether has u bolts. The zone offroad kit is priced between the 2 rough country kits, comes with u bolts and you can cheaply upgrade to their nitro shocks. From rough country, find out how much the u bolts will cost, add the gas shock upgrade and compare the cost. Probably very similar, shiping cost can also be a factor, don't forget that. You can't go wrong with iether zone or rough country, go with the one that lets you keep some of your money.

Tags
1987 , 4x4 , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.