Cheap 3" Lift help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cheap 3" Lift help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Cheap 3" Lift help

Ok so im sure this is posted on here allready but im new to Jeeps... i love mine! I want it bigger but as everyone knows the US ARMY dosent pay for crap! sooooo Im trying to do this as cheap as possible! Im looking for a 3"-5" lift but what i need from yall is links to order everything i need! I know just about everyone has there jeep lifted except mine soooo I wanna bring this jeep to a respected level! Thanks guys..

Ohh I got a 1987 XJ 4x4 Stright 6 4.0L if that helps any!

"If you CAN read this.. Thank a teacher//If you ARE reading this..Thank a SOLDIER"
ArmySniper_87XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

The threads at beginning of this page have cheap junkyard lifts. Some f150 front springs and s10 or dakota leafs added to yours should get you 3". Then some grand cherokee arms i believe will help clear tires while tirning. I got my 4.5" rubicon express off a jeep with cracked frame for 200 and my teraflex shocks for 100. lift was used but got me up there for a while. id sell the lift because im goig long arm and coil rear soon but shipping to NC would be pricy.
ltrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

idk what all i would even need, I traded my 2002 durango R/T 5.9 for this 1987 XJ and some cash... so i wanna make it look decent, I just pulled the ugly fender flares off today.. it needs paint, ill post pix

"If you CAN read this.. Thank a teacher//If you ARE reading this..Thank a SOLDIER"
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look at zone offroad and Rough country, they'll sell you a complete package and prices are reasonable. Don't buy an ebay kit from Fat Bob's Garage, I made that mistake.
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
yepits2wd
2000 XJ Cherokee 

so fat bobs is a bad idea? i was looking at those the other day. whats wrong with them?
yepits2wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-xj-NY View Post
Look at zone offroad and Rough country, they'll sell you a complete package and prices are reasonable. Don't buy an ebay kit from Fat Bob's Garage, I made that mistake.
wow thanks for the heads up! I was about to get one of those this friday! Well im looking at a rough country kit that has "everything" xcept shocks and steering stabalizer. Will i need to mod anything to get this to work? brakelines or anything??

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I did my 3.5" lift for around 200 bucks
3" rusty's coils
Bastard pack
JK shocks
Hardware

It takes some finagling but it can be done if your a handy-man

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
I did my 3.5" lift for around 200 bucks
3" rusty's coils
Bastard pack
JK shocks
Hardware

It takes some finagling but it can be done if your a handy-man
<-----Not a handy man with lifts.... I can do everything else which is bad cuz im ASE certified... meh.

Unread 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The stuff is just not good quality, I've had to replace most of it. In march the stuff would be a year old and it was on very light trails once. The only thing left on my truck from them is the front coils and I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep them. The trackbar bracket fit but didn't work properly, shocks were junk and so was the add a leaf. Do yourself a favor and buy from Rough Country or zone offroad. Spend the extra $$$ for the gas shocks too. You are going to need an adjustable trackbar, get the iron rock offroad. That was worth every penny, my truck had bumpsteer after the lift and that trackbar fixed it. I'm not trying to take food from somebody's table, I'm talking based on my recent experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepits2wd View Post
so fat bobs is a bad idea? i was looking at those the other day. whats wrong with them?
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
ArmySniper_87XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-xj-NY View Post
The stuff is just not good quality, I've had to replace most of it. In march the stuff would be a year old and it was on very light trails once. The only thing left on my truck from them is the front coils and I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep them. The trackbar bracket fit but didn't work properly, shocks were junk and so was the add a leaf. Do yourself a favor and buy from Rough Country or zone offroad. Spend the extra $$$ for the gas shocks too. You are going to need an adjustable trackbar, get the iron rock offroad. That was worth every penny, my truck had bumpsteer after the lift and that trackbar fixed it. I'm not trying to take food from somebody's table, I'm talking based on my recent experience.
Well an honest opinion is what I was looking for, Im pretty much settled on a 3" block lift on rear and Zone offroad 3" lift kit and not using there AAL, instead im going to use there front parts/Shocks and Steering stabalizer

Unread 04-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
98-xj-NY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You are going to need an adjustable trackbar or drill your axle trackbar mounting plate in order to get the front axle back to center. Do some research on blocks before you go that route, probably won't hear much positive about blocks for the rear. You could do 3" spacers at the front and keep your factory coils and factory like ride. Put the money saved towards a new set of leaf packs for the rear. Perhaps oem upcountry leafs wich are a 1" lift over the regular oem and 2" shackles. Add a leaf is probably not the worst way to go even if its not the best. Shackles will completely flaten your old leaf packs very fast. If your front coils aren't sagged out, keep them. Your leafs probably need replacement more than the front. Use your money smartly and get a good quality ride while also getting your lift.
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Blocks on XJ's are a terrible idea because the leaf springs are so weak, They will either become "S" and sag real bad or break. Look into a bastard pack if your on a tight budget, its really easy to do

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i used a 2 inch spacer in front plus V8 ZJ coils, then the stock XJ pack, with another XJ main added in, plus a rough country shackle (1.5 and 2 inch lift settings)
im at 3.25 rear, and 3 in front last i checked.

oh and JK Rubicon shocks
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 3" rough country kit for 255.00 is all you need. You can redrill the axle maounting hole for the trac-bar to recenter the axle under the jeep. Do not use a 3" block, the AAL will work fine, unless your current leafs are sagging. The AAL is the best thing to go with unless you get new leafs. Shackles will finish off sagging leafs quickly and blocks can cause the leafs to break from the added stress and axle wrap. I would either build a bastard pack, or go with the AAL kit. You need coils, shocks, either AAL/bastard pack/new leafs, redrill trac-bar bracket, possibly longer swaybar links(some need them with 3" some don't), new u-bolts, and I would recommend a 95 wrangler rear brakeline from autozone or the like for 3" of lift. You may need a t-case drop or may not. The Rough country 3" basic kit will have evrything you have to have, and you can upgrade other things as needed and finances allow it.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also, the effort for a bastard pack is pretty much the same as an add a leaf you'll just have to buy your leafs from a junkyard and then buy your U bolts separate instead of getting everything in one box.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1987 , 4x4 , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.