Chasing down a misfire - coolant temp sensor? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Chasing down a misfire - coolant temp sensor?

I am trying to chase down a misfire in cylinder one. I have replaced the plugs (Champions), wires, cap and rotor. The injectors have been cleaned, ran Techron through two tanks of gas, cleaned TB, IAC, used Mopar engine decarb, etc. I still need to swap the injector from cyl. 1 with another to see if the misfire follows and do a fuel pressure check.

Could the engine coolant temperature sensor cause a misfire? I ask because my idle is always at 750rpm regardless of outside temperature. Granted it doesn't get too cold here, but it has been in the 50's the last couple of nights. My truck has been harder to start, idling rougher than normal and throwing the misfire code instantly. My coolant temp gauge on the dash jumps up to 210 really fast. I have never had a truck show that the engine was up to operating temp so fast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM
98jeepxjlimited
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well if your temp goes up really quick ...you might need a cooling system flush. and maybe a new radiator. for future ref. operating temp for an xj is 195. so 210 is kind of hot, so you might need a new thermostat too, possibly water pump if its real old ...wow you really went through everything that i would have thought of for a misfire and then some. if it were me, id problably do a compression test next to see if the rings r toast. and testing to see if the exhaust and intake valves are good is a good idea as well. maybe you can get new fuel injectors before you do a compression test, i dont trust any of those BS fuel cleaners or anything like that.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I forgot to add. Compression on cyl. 1 is 150psi. The others are 160 to 170. I will check out the thermostat, etc.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star XJ View Post
.. I still need to swap the injector from cyl. 1 with another to see if the misfire follows and do a fuel pressure check...
Before you spend any money on new parts, you need to swap the injector and see if the misfire code stays on the #1 cylinder or follows the injector.

210* is the normal operating temp indicated on the instrument panel gauge.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 05-21-2009 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
98jeepxjlimited
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i thought xjs were supposed to run at approx 195 give or take a couple degrees??
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

They use a 195* thermostat, but operate at or around 210*

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM
98jeepxjlimited
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 180 thermo. and it operates at 180 . constantly
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Before you spend any money new parts, you need to swap the injector and see if the misfire code stays on the #1 cylinder or follows the injector.

210* is the normal operating temp indicated on the instrument panel gauge.
Will do. Picked up some new orings incase I mess one up pulling the injectors out.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just swaped the #1 and #2 fuel injectors and it made no difference. I can pull the plug to the #1 injector and you can barely hear a difference in the way the engine runs. It makes a big difference if you pull the plugs to angy of the other injectors. I guess fuel pressure is next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.