charging problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > charging problem

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 06-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Havoc319

charging problem

New to this place. Very cool.

Just put in a new 160ah alternator. Originally had a 75 I think? It would drop out when everything was on.
The new one seams to do the same thing as the old one. It just cannot handle a load. Checked the grounds, getting an amp meter today to check and also I think there is a fusible link inline with the alternator to the starter relay??

Is there anyway to jump out the regulator to have it put out max power to see what it does? I was reading in my chiltons to jump out the regulator but it says for an external one.. Any help?

Dan

Unread 06-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
XJ-NoDough

I used to have all kinds of electrical issues, then I discovered that my engine grounding strap wasn't tightened down. Now it's much better.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Check your ground, and Also::: Upgrage your Wire!!!!!!!!
If its the same wire that the old one was connected to. Current is flow of electrons...... wire is the pathway. If you want more flow, you have to increase the pathway. I saw it in a tech article once, but I cant remember where... Anyhow, I recently got a 4awg wire from my Alternator to the starter relay, and all my electrical systems work better. even my windows go up better now. All you need is an 18" jumper wire from your alt to starter relay. Thicker wire the better, and upgrade your ground, check for looseness and tighten if neccesary.
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.