Changing power steering hoses 2000 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changing power steering hoses 2000 XJ

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Changing power steering hoses 2000 XJ

I decided to change both hoses on my power steering pump. I took out the air filter and electric fan but cannot really get to the bottom part of my hoses. It appears that a radiator hose is in the way. Has anyone done this before? Also, does anyone know what wrench to use? It was bigger than my 5/8. I went to the store and bought a 3/4 but it was too small for this. Is there a decent guide for all of this? I'm not impressed with the Haynes manual. Thanks.

photo-4-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg  
JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll need an 18 MM Crowfoot flare nut wrench, long extension, and a breaker bar, to remove and install the flare nuts at the steering gear.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
You'll need an 18 MM Crowfoot flare nut wrench, long extension, and a breaker bar, to remove and install the flare nuts at the steering gear.
Thanks a lot. Is there a good place to pick up that sized nut wrench? Also, do I need a whole set or just that one size? I mean, in the future while working on an XJ, will I need the other sizes or the 18mm will do the job?
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
Thanks a lot. Is there a good place to pick up that sized nut wrench? Also, do I need a whole set or just that one size? I mean, in the future while working on an XJ, will I need the other sizes or the 18mm will do the job?
Also do I need a breaker bar and an extension? Thanks for the help.
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
There's not too many applications on your XJ for flare nut crowfoot wrenches so I would just see if you can buy just one wrench. I got mine at a local hardware store but you can check Sears or some of the automotive parts stores, like NAPA.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Also do I need a breaker bar and an extension? Thanks for the help.
That's what I used. It's too difficult to get down on the flare nuts without the extension, but you can use what you want to turn the crowfoot. I just happened to have a 3/8 drive breaker bar that I used.

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
That's what I used. It's too difficult to get down on the flare nuts without the extension, but you can use what you want to turn the crowfoot. I just happened to have a 3/8 drive breaker bar that I used.
Thanks Ken. Autozone has a cheap set I'm going to pick up tonight.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I cut the old hard line and used a socket to remove then reinstalled with a short 18mm for the pressure hose. Didn't change the other one though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.