Changing Gas Filter = Big mpg improvement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changing Gas Filter = Big mpg improvement

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-31-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
buddy2003

Changing Gas Filter = Big mpg improvement

I recently changed the gas filter (and took the roof rack off). I have a 1996 4.0L, 5spd with 160k miles. The filter looked like it was original (I've owned the jeep for 18 months). I was amazed by the brown crap that pured out of the upstream side afer I took it off.

Before the change, I was getting around 19 mpUSgall. I've just put the first tank of gas through it and was surprised to see that the gas mileage has improved to 23 mpUSgall (highway commuting).

Anyone else seen a similar dramatic improvement?

buddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
crashod

I haven't done this yet, but I have an 88 with an inline filter. Is that the only one that I need to replace? Mine is a Napa filter, so I know it's not the original. I'm getting 15 to 18 mpg... or 200 to 265 miles on my 16.5 gallon tank. Another thing, I'd like to upgrade to a 20 gal tank... What all do I need to replace to do that? Thanks

Runs Great $750.00 From Second owner.
Everything but the Cruise control Works.

[URL=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/stuck_030505/stuck1.jpg]Stuck[/URL]
[url=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/crashod_new_rims_2.jpg]New Rims. Sorry It's so Dark[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep1.jpg]My Jeep[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep2.jpg]My Jeep 2[/url]
crashod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
wipedawg

i believe in the newer motors... to replace the filter you also hafta replace the fuel pump... basically i dont think the little bit better in gas mileage is gonna be worth the time and money of a new fuel pump.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
twisted_ed

im thinking of replacing my inline with a permanent mount for a spin on filter... just gotta decide which to use.. anyone know what the fuel flow is like outta a 90 fuel pump?
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
crashod

Something in the relm of 45 to 60 psi..

Runs Great $750.00 From Second owner.
Everything but the Cruise control Works.

[URL=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/stuck_030505/stuck1.jpg]Stuck[/URL]
[url=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/crashod_new_rims_2.jpg]New Rims. Sorry It's so Dark[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep1.jpg]My Jeep[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep2.jpg]My Jeep 2[/url]
crashod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
gbaronetXCR
2004 WJ 

If you want to seell the rack drop me a line.
Looking for an all black and loose the chrome.
gbaronetXCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
88eXcellentJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipedawg
i believe in the newer motors... to replace the filter you also hafta replace the fuel pump... basically i dont think the little bit better in gas mileage is gonna be worth the time and money of a new fuel pump.
r u 4 real, thats soo stupid...were the chrysler engrs smokin crack or what??

"I break stuff and then I fix it. I'm a Jeeper. It's what I do."
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/597573]This is my daily driver, if I roll it I'm screwed![/URL]
88eXcellentJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
twisted_ed

actually its rather ingenius if you think about it, they know that most people that know nothing about a vehicle know that filters need to be changed and it will be so easy for chrysler to convice them that fuel filters need to be changed very often, and since the fuel pump needs to be replaced thats a good way to make lots of exta dough especually since you have to drop the tank which can take a long time!! and shop labor aint cheap we know that.

Ive seen filter kits on ebay to replace the filter on the pump so you dont need to buy a new one, i bet at any rate you could take the pump out and remove the old filter and rig it to run without one, then get an inlie or spin on filter to put outside the tank like the old one then you never have to worry,
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
CowboyPA

Actually if you re think about it it is a very good idea.. Jeep is one of the few who are filtering the fuel BEFORE it runs through the pump.

Every rose has it's Thorn, every XJ has it's leak, and every cowboy sings a sad sad song
CowboyPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 02:08 AM   #10
88Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy2003
Before the change, I was getting around 19 mpUSgall. I've just put the first tank of gas through it and was surprised to see that the gas mileage has improved to 23 mpUSgall (highway commuting).

Anyone else seen a similar dramatic improvement?
Don't want to rain on your parade, but is it possible that you're in an area where gasoline is oxygenated for winter and you've just gotten a tank of the summer version? The mileage change you describe would be just a bit high for that alone, but would account for a lot of it.

88Chief
88Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
smac999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyPA
Actually if you re think about it it is a very good idea.. Jeep is one of the few who are filtering the fuel BEFORE it runs through the pump.
cars with inline filters still have one on the pump. well atleast my last one did.
Unread 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #12
88eXcellentJeep

Yea i know some cars have filters before the fuel pump and some even in the tank(also STUPID). I guess you can call it smart from a caniving *******-make more $ kind of view point but I still think its inefficient and a PITA. That is pure profit engineering NOT design engineering.

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/597573]This is my daily driver, if I roll it I'm screwed![/URL]
Unread 04-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #13
t bell

Well if you think about it, a filter before it goes to the pump-so it will not tear up the pump. And a filter before it goes to the engine-so it will not tear up the engine. Although changing a filter in the tank is a more PITA, it should help for a long lifed pump, in theory. Whether or not Jeep engineers were thinking of that, I don't know.
t bell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
88eXcellentJeep

Yea, thats the way it should be...but no filters in the gas tank for pump itself

Unread 04-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Chief
Don't want to rain on your parade, but is it possible that you're in an area where gasoline is oxygenated for winter and you've just gotten a tank of the summer version? The mileage change you describe would be just a bit high for that alone, but would account for a lot of it.

88Chief
I would say since brown junk came out of his fuel filter then most likely the increase in gas millage was do to the new fuel filter.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.