changing fuel pump on 1992 cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > changing fuel pump on 1992 cherokee?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #1

changing fuel pump on 1992 cherokee?

i think my fuel pump went to ****. and a new one will be 100 bucks. i found a shop that will do it for 230.00. worth it to do it myself? is it hard? or just let the auto repair shop do it.

323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
nate758

easy to do change you fuel filter too could probably di it in 2 hours or so max
nate758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Replacing the fuel pump is fairly easy. Expect your lock ring to be stuck; a little penetrating oil will be helpful. And getting the lock ring back on is a challenge with a new seal. But certainly not worth paying someone else.

However, if the old pump failed due to contamination in the tank, you really need to have the tank cleaned. If the tank is clean, I would just replace the pump. It would also be a good time to renew the hoses and filter.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
96JXJ

Make sure the fuel pump is bad. I thought mine had went out until I connected jumper wires to it. Worked fine, turned out the CPS was bad. JIM.
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
ScottT80

Other than a CPS, what else would cause problems like a fuel pump?

Just put a new CPS on mine and a new fuel pump... problem still there... currently won't start at all.

Did note that the fuel rail has no pressure... new fuel pump not any good?
ScottT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Check the ASD relay and the fuel pump relays and make sure both work. Also check the ballast resister on the drv side fenderwell. It's a small ceraminc thing. Jumper it and see if that fixes it.

If you're gonna replace the pump or even just the sock pre filter.... IMO, drop the tank and put some tank cleaner through it. Dropping the tank is a little bit of a PITA, muh easier if you don't have a hitch on there. It's the best way to get the pump assembly out without bending anything. Also the best way to make sure the little numb on eth bottom of the prefilter seats in the holde ri the tank.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/3

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
94HOCHEROKEE
1994 XJ Cherokee 

my fuel pump went out and I checked for pressure which I had none. I first thought it was my pump because I was doing some maint. and I had to turn it on and off and the fuel pump didn't engage like it had been and now won't fire.....

Also, when my CPS went the pump would always engage and act like it might fire after repeated tries. I hoped maybe it was my TPS but the fact remains that my pump wasn't engaging.......
94HOCHEROKEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.