changing diff fluid, quick questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > changing diff fluid, quick questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
jbudz511
2000 XJ Cherokee 

changing diff fluid, quick questions

Hello all!

So I'm going to drain and refill my differentials within the next few days for the first time since I've owned the xj. My question is I see there is an additive that's needed if you have a LSD, my question is how would one know they have one...

Also I was looking to clean up and possibly repaint the the diff covers while I'm changing the fluid, should I cover up the open gears while the covers are drying or does it not matter.

Thanks guys

jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
CamdogXIII
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you own the 2000 xj listed in your profile You don't have an LSD unless the previous owner did an axle swap or installed an aftermarket one. If you want to make sure, jack up the rear end to take both tires off the ground and spin the drive shaft by hand. if both tires turn equally then there is an LSD. My guess is that they won't ;-)

and I would cover the differentials while the covers are drying to stop dust and dirt from getting in there.
CamdogXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
jbudz511
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamdogXIII View Post
If you own the 2000 xj listed in your profile You don't have an LSD unless the previous owner did an axle swap or installed an aftermarket one. If you want to make sure, jack up the rear end to take both tires off the ground and spin the drive shaft by hand. if both tires turn equally then there is an LSD. My guess is that they won't ;-)

and I would cover the differentials while the covers are drying to stop dust and dirt from getting in there.
Thanks man, I'm pretty sure this is stock l. Sounds simple enough to test tho
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Limited Slip was optional for all years of XJ. My 2000 had one, it was listed on the build sheet.

With the diff cover open, ID the gear carrier, open or Limited Slip. If you have a Limited Slip you need to add the Friction Modifier additive. You can either buy it when you buy the gear oil and return it if not needed, or drive to the parts store on your fresh gear oil and then buy some. I would not drive for days or weeks without the additive, but a few dozen miles without it won't hurt anything.

Open Differential on the left, Limited Slip on the right:
diff_open_lsd.jpg   diff-limited-slip.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of gear oil has LSD additive in it already. Doesn't hurt anything if you don't have the LSD and avoids having to add anything.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
A lot of gear oil has LSD additive in it already. Doesn't hurt anything if you don't have the LSD and avoids having to add anything.
Some Jeep owners have posted that these fluids do not work as advertised, and they still have to add Friction Modifier. YMMV.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
CamdogXIII
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Limited Slip was optional for all years of XJ. My 2000 had one, it was listed on the build sheet.

With the diff cover open, ID the gear carrier, open or Limited Slip. If you have a Limited Slip you need to add the Friction Modifier additive. You can either buy it when you buy the gear oil and return it if not needed, or drive to the parts store on your fresh gear oil and then buy some. I would not drive for days or weeks without the additive, but a few dozen miles without it won't hurt anything.

Open Differential on the left, Limited Slip on the right:
Really? Did not know that. You learn something new every day
CamdogXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

Some Jeep owners have posted that these fluids do not work as advertised, and they still have to add Friction Modifier. YMMV.
My mileage did vary. Worked fine in my TJ D44 and actually clutch packs lasted longer than I expected. LSD though poor substitute for real locker (no matter what some people try to convince themselves) so I don't miss it.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
jbudz511
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I don't have one, thanks for all your help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.