Changing axle u-joint - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changing axle u-joint

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Jenner

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the notion that it's easy. Removing the star bolts that hold the hub in place is rugged if its never been removed before. The axle nut is no joke, you need a big *** socket for that, I had to get a set from harbor freight. The hub could be rusted to yoke behind it so be ready to pound the crap out of it. It'll probably laugh at you because the dust shield is the problem. You'll bend it to hell trying to get it to separate, when all else failed I had to use a small pickle fork and I chewed it up pretty good. If you pull the hub assembly out odds are it will separate. It's not supposed to be serviceable but if it does you can put it back together. May as well replace it though. Be careful pulling the axle out, you don't want to screw up the splines pulling it out of the shaft.

Getting a rusty U-Joint out is loads of fun. I tried with a vice and I bent the yoke ear like the unfortunate poster above. There is no going back after that. Had to buy a passenger side axle assembly.

So I don't believe this falls into the easy category unless everything comes apart and goes back together perfectly. How often does that happen?

Good thing I love my Cherokee.

1" Transfer Case Drop, Iron Man Adjustable LCA's
RE Adjustable Trac Bar, Rusty's Adjustable UCA's
31" Uniroyal AT
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.