Changing axle u-joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changing axle u-joint

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

Changing axle u-joint

I have a bad u-joint on front axle of my 99 xj. How difficult of a repair is this? I've changed plenty of u-joints but never on an axle. My shop is all tied up with my CJ rebuild and I was quoted $135 parts and labor to fix it. Just trying to decide if it's worth my time and effort to make room and do it myself.

Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Beefcake7777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

from what i know its pretty serious, and if you dont know how to put it on perfectly, down the road it could come apart and cause more trouble. my u joints are ****ed an im jus going to let a mech handle it
Beefcake7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
tkdtim
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake7777 View Post
from what i know its pretty serious, and if you dont know how to put it on perfectly, down the road it could come apart and cause more trouble. my u joints are ****ed an im jus going to let a mech handle it
I did both of mine a couple weeks ago. It was really easy.
Take off the tire, caliper, rotor
Take out 3 bolts holding the axle in (dana 30) and slide the axle out
Pull the C clips off the joing, put the U joint in the bench vice and hit the axle with a 3lb hammer and the top cap pops out. Rinse repeat.

Put the new u joing in place, start both caps on gently then press them together in the vice or with a C clamp. Put the clips in.

Hardest part imo was breaking loose the 3 bolts to get the axle out. I would bet it hadn't been out in 15 years since it rolled off the line.
tkdtim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

so u don't have to get into differential at all.......don't sound too bad......my xj came from the south so it's pretty rust free........everything should come apart ok
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Beefcake7777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtim View Post
I did both of mine a couple weeks ago. It was really easy.
Take off the tire, caliper, rotor
Take out 3 bolts holding the axle in (dana 30) and slide the axle out
Pull the C clips off the joing, put the U joint in the bench vice and hit the axle with a 3lb hammer and the top cap pops out. Rinse repeat.

Put the new u joing in place, start both caps on gently then press them together in the vice or with a C clamp. Put the clips in.

Hardest part imo was breaking loose the 3 bolts to get the axle out. I would bet it hadn't been out in 15 years since it rolled off the line.
good thing someone who knew what they were talking about answered the thread. as easy as that sounds to u, i could probably get as far as taking off the tire without screwing something up.
Beefcake7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I've changed axle u-joints a couple of times and it's no more difficult than changing drive shaft u-joints. I have bent the ears on a stub shaft once using a ball joint press. I just use a hammer and two sockets to get u-joints apart now. That is what has worked for me.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
tkdtim
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
good thing someone who knew what they were talking about answered the thread. as easy as that sounds to u, i could probably get as far as taking off the tire without screwing something up.
Honestly, I'm not that mechanically inclined. I didn't even really know how to do it going in, I just took it apart and put it back together with the new parts. But, if you have problems with the tire, might want to get some help.
tkdtim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'd attempt it yourself first, hopefully you have another vehicle in case you run into problems causing to become delayed. If DIY fails, maybe someone you know locally or a fellow jeeper would help on your dime or beer!

In my experience it's not as hard as they say, I don't think it was mentioned and I read you mentioning there isnt much or any rust on the rig though i'd still pick up some PB Blaster.

If these options don't sound that great go ahead and take it into the shop for the $135 quote though you'll feel better as well as learn more about your rig in the long run by doing it yourself.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the tech FAQs at the top of this forum...lots of step by step help. Also a search will give you tons of help on this.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Zjeeplover
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I did it myself this summer. Not bad, but the axle nut is super snug. I went through a whole can of PB Blaster on the three bolts and axle nut. Here's a good write-up on it. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm
Zjeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Completed the same install a couple months ago. The link provided is what I used, it was my first time. Next time, I'll be much faster. Click on the build link in my sig below to see more pictures. Page 17.

Good luck, go slow, take your time...

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
BigBearXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjeeplover View Post
I did it myself this summer. Not bad, but the axle nut is super snug. I went through a whole can of PB Blaster on the three bolts and axle nut. Here's a good write-up on it. U-Joint Replacement - 1
There is no need to loosen the axle nut. Just pull the stub shaft and the unit bearing together.
Unread 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Zjeeplover
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I couldn't fit my whole unit bearing in my vice.
Zjeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
whod you hear that from? everyones told me its easy, im about to find out soon. im changing mine out
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
XJohnnyC

First time, it may be a bit intimidating. Just like anything else. But after you've done a few, it's pretty easy. It's good to know how to do it, because you may need to change one out on the trail some day.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.