Changed OFA O ring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changed OFA O ring

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
justanotherjpr

Changed OFA O ring

I changed the oil filter adapter O ring this weekend. Usually I can put a standard length wrench on almost any size bolt and break it free. You can imagine my surprise when I reached up with my right hand and gave my 12mm wrench hell (on the T-60 bit knocked out of the socket) and nothing happened. My shoulder/neck is still sore. From below is not the way to do this on a lifted XJ.

I welded that wrench to a length of steel and slipped a pipe over the steel. Broke the wrench.

Undeterred, I retrieved a 'better' wrench from my tool bag. I was able to put the wrench on the bit from above, and the offset in the wrench made it simple to get to. I slipped my high lift handle over the wrench and broke it free.

It backed out by hand after a few more turns with the wrench. The stock O ring was not broken but was very hard. Changed it and seems that no more leaky.

Moral of the story? This is easy to get to with a 12mm wrench that has some offset, the T-60 bit knocked out of its socket, and a cheater.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6171_200396171

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3288_200313288

And once again, the most useful tool in the world:

justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I need to change mine again, it is leaking like crazy. Hopefully since I did this a few years ago it won't be as hard to get off this time.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
justanotherjpr

I bought four O rings so I could change it again if needed. Did you change the inner rings on the bolt, or just the big one?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
adkjeepxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I need to do this very soon
adkjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I changed them all about three or four years ago. The replacements must have not been the same quality as the originals, or I didn't get it torqued back correctly since it is leaking again. My rear main is leaking, oil filter adapter o-rings are leaking and the oil pan is leaking. I have been putting it off until the weather got better and I had the money to replace all of these and the header and exhaust. Hopefully in a few weeks I can get all this done.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
severous01

that's where snapon and matco come in handy... much better quality than 'china' brand or craftsman...
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My 92 doesnt leak a drop, all original seals.

My 95 leaked, different design filter adapter though
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I bought four O rings so I could change it again if needed. Did you change the inner rings on the bolt, or just the big one?
I did all three a few years back too, they've held up well, but I need to do the VC and rear main now.

The craftsman has a little set screw holding the torx end to the socket body, so you can just pop it right out & back in no sweat. Comes in a kit though, that's hella expensive.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.