Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP!

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP!

I bought a jeep that needed a screwdriving to start it wouldn't take a key... the tumbler part was missing. I bought a brand new ignition switch and a brand new ignition tumbler from Auto Zone to replace it. I turn the key and all electric shuts off. When I take the pos. off the battery and ground it to the air compressor or engine block and then put it back on I have electric power but when I try to start it again everything shuts off again. It doesn't even click when I try to start it. I don't have an alarm, so it's not that. I was told it could be an anti theft thing from the factory and/or that my PCM is bad. Help please!

heepinforChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

update- switched the PCM from my 99 to this 96 and same thing happens PCM works fine on my 99 from the 96 though totally stumped i have no clue man, no fuses blown
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha success 12:43am and i think i figured it out,bad ASD relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.