Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Changed ignition switch, now it won't start... HELP!

I bought a jeep that needed a screwdriving to start it wouldn't take a key... the tumbler part was missing. I bought a brand new ignition switch and a brand new ignition tumbler from Auto Zone to replace it. I turn the key and all electric shuts off. When I take the pos. off the battery and ground it to the air compressor or engine block and then put it back on I have electric power but when I try to start it again everything shuts off again. It doesn't even click when I try to start it. I don't have an alarm, so it's not that. I was told it could be an anti theft thing from the factory and/or that my PCM is bad. Help please!

heepinforChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

update- switched the PCM from my 99 to this 96 and same thing happens PCM works fine on my 99 from the 96 though totally stumped i have no clue man, no fuses blown
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha success 12:43am and i think i figured it out,bad ASD relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.