Chalk board sound, Please watch and comment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Chalk board sound, Please watch and comment

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Krilix
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Chalk board sound, Please watch and comment

Hello everyone. I have been having a whole lot of issues with this jeep i got a little over a year ago.

iv replaced motor mounts, idler pulley, water pump, I think the splined thing going into my transfer case might be seized. causing my motor fan to have the shroud for breakfast.

ok so, This weekend i was suppose to be bringing the jeep to my brothers place and he was gonna help me try and figure stuff out,

just an hour ago I went to drive to the store and, I started the jeep up, no problems... No screeching, but when i pushed the gas Oh my lord, so loud..

so i pulled back in the drive way, thinking a pulley was seized.

No pulley sized... and it sounds like the chalkboard sound is coming from behind the motor :S anyway here is a short video of the sound...

oh and it gets MUCH MUCH MUCH louder when i actually drive it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_sZ...ature=youtu.be

please if anyone has any opinion i would really appreciate it, Tomorrow when I have more sun light im going to take the belt off and check all the pulleys even tho i doubt its any of them.

then i will start it after and see if it still makes the noise with no belt.

thank you very much

Sean

Krilix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a squeaky belt. Spray a little water on the belt...just water...if it goes away it's most likely the belt. How tight is your serpentine belt? Sounds like it's not tight enough!

The serpentine belt on the 4.0 needs to be "damn" tight...tighter than any vehicle I've ever driven or worked on. You could get a Krikit II tension gauge at the auto parts store, but I've yet to use one. I just tighten the belt to what I think is tight...then I tighten it a bit more, and then gently... a little more

Did you replace the tranny mount as well?
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the belt squeal. Look at the idler pulley carefully, they like to lock up. If the lights were on, try turning them off to see if the squeal goes away on is lessened.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Krilix
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the feedback, i'm gonna go out shortly and tighten the belt up and see if that help and ill let you know!!

btw, i checked the belt and it did seem pretty lose.. ill make sure to pay close attention to all of the pulleys if the noise continues after the tightening, it made the squeal with the lights on and with them off,

Thanks again!

Sean
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Krilix
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That was it I guess i had to really tighten it up before it felt fairly tight, but i started it up rev and squeal's gone!! no idea why I didnt think of that saved me from taking the belt off
Unread 12-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
RANGER4219
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have that same exact sound on my 99 4.0 nice to be one of the group

I usually do belt change and idler. When I hear that on regular cars.

This is my first post wooo hoooo!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.