center pin/cross shaft wont go back in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > center pin/cross shaft wont go back in

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
gradysjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

center pin/cross shaft wont go back in

Have a friend putting 456 gears in my 8.25 and while putting it back together he found that the center pin doesnt have enough clearance to go back in. Are you suppose to file down the ring gear teeth on these to get the center pin back in and if so how much can you take off and still be ok.

gradysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
badassls1z
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I put the Aussie locker in my D30, I had to put the pin in before I put the ring gear back on the carrier. I didn't feel comfortable filing teeth down. So if I am understanding you right you already have the carrier back in the housing? If so I would take it back out, take the ring gear off and put the pin in. Just my

'92 White XJ Laredo, 3" Lift, 33's SOLD
badassls1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
XJohnnyC

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944145
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
XJohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassls1z View Post
When I put the Aussie locker in my D30, I had to put the pin in before I put the ring gear back on the carrier. I didn't feel comfortable filing teeth down. So if I am understanding you right you already have the carrier back in the housing? If so I would take it back out, take the ring gear off and put the pin in. Just my

Can't do that on an 8.25 because of the c-clips.

You either have to shave the pin or grind a tooth.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
gradysjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
Can't do that on an 8.25 because of the c-clips.

You either have to shave the pin or grind a tooth.
Hey thanks thats what we are going to do. I went over to naxja and found that thread after posting.
gradysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.