Cell Phone Charger & Radio Fuse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cell Phone Charger & Radio Fuse

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Faafil
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cell Phone Charger & Radio Fuse

Hi,

I have a '95 Cherokee that the fuse on the radio blows every time I plug the cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter. It wasn't a big issue for my old phone, I just never used it (the charger). But now that I have a Droid X that can be used as a GPS, I want to use the car charger (but am afraid to).

Is there a fix, i.e., bigger fuse, or some kind of adapter? I have no idea what size fuse is in there now. Should I just make a trip to the dealer and see what they can do?

Thanks,
Mary Lou

Faafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a different charger?? Most phones (including the Droid) only uses about 3 volts of power and low amps, so you either have an issue with the charger or the lighter plug itself.

Try a friends lighter plug..
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Faafil
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Have you tried a different charger?? Most phones (including the Droid) only uses about 3 volts of power and low amps, so you either have an issue with the charger or the lighter plug itself.

Try a friends lighter plug..
No, I never tried another charger on my car, but the old charger did work in my husband's '09 T&C. I wasn't sure if it was the age of my vehicle. The last time (couple years ago) the dealer just told me to quit using the car charger but they never said if it was the charger or the lighter plug. As a lighter, it works fine...

I haven't even tried the new car charger that came w/the Droid, because if the radio goes out that means a trip to the dealer anyway...maybe I wasn't clear on that part - I haven't used the new Droid charger yet.

So, it "shouldn't" be blowing the fuses?? Guess I'll have to try it and cross fingers I don't have to go to the dealer??
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Please don't just try a bigger fuse. They are designed to blow at a certain level and it's like putting a penny into your home fuse box. It will probably work but at some point you're gonna regret it.

It sounds like this same thing was happening with your old phone charger as well? Or it happened with the old one and you have yet to plug the new one in to see if the same thing happens? If the former than it's probably an issue with the cigarette lighter socket itself. If the latter, than fuses aren't expensive, I'd just try the new charger to see if it was the charger or the socket.

Once you know which is the problem you can go from there. I'd say try to track it down yourself if you have the ability. Taking it to the dealership might end up costing a bit if the issue isn't obvious and they have to hunt around to find the problem before they can fix it.

edit: You updated while I was typing so most of the above is mute. But no, it shouldn't be blowing the fuse. The previous owner of my XJ had a five way splitter hooked up with a cb, scanner and front and rear light bars hooked up and never blew anything. One phone charger should work no issues. Sounds like its the socket itself if the cord worked elsewhere.
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Faafil
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_jeep View Post
Please don't just try a bigger fuse. They are designed to blow at a certain level and it's like putting a penny into your home fuse box. It will probably work but at some point you're gonna regret it.

It sounds like this same thing was happening with your old phone charger as well? Or it happened with the old one and you have yet to plug the new one in to see if the same thing happens? If the former than it's probably an issue with the cigarette lighter socket itself. If the latter, than fuses aren't expensive, I'd just try the new charger to see if it was the charger or the socket.

Once you know which is the problem you can go from there. I'd say try to track it down yourself if you have the ability. Taking it to the dealership might end up costing a bit if the issue isn't obvious and they have to hunt around to find the problem before they can fix it.

edit: You updated while I was typing so most of the above is mute. But no, it shouldn't be blowing the fuse. The previous owner of my XJ had a five way splitter hooked up with a cb, scanner and front and rear light bars hooked up and never blew anything. One phone charger should work no issues. Sounds like its the socket itself if the cord worked elsewhere.
Thank you for the reply!

Guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer (even tho it will cost). I'll be updating cellphones every couple of years, but I'm not about to give up my sweet old Jeep just yet. 111,000 miles and going strong.
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Faafil
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Droid X Motorola car charger

as an update - took the Jeep to the dealer yesterday, Service Mgr. plugged in the new charger - no problems whatsoever.

He just said "have a nice day, you're not ready for an oil change yet" and didn't charge me a cent...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.