cb radio question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cb radio question

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cb radio question

i want a cb..but not a permanent unit that always is mounted in the jeep..does anyone make one that is like hand held...that i could still have an antenna and just run the wire to my center console and plug it in when i need it? but take it out when im not using it? thanks...i dont need anything real high quality either...just for fun and off road use

jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

There are a lot of handheld CB's that you can plug in like you are talking about. Just go to a CB shop and they will have it all. Even if you mount an actual CB radio box you can still remove it. I have mine so I can remove it if not needed. I put male/female connectors a few inches after the power wires leave the cb box. Then of course the CB antenna wire just screws in.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think cobra makes a handheld model like you are looking for. IMO just get a cheap CB...~$30. No one is gonna steal a cheap one that isn't worth much if that's what you're worried about.

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im not worried about theft...just saving space and having less clutter...im a neat freak...do they make something i can plug in the 12v power supply...and then screw an external antenna into..that being the only two things i have to unplug..thanks for the unput guys
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, mine plugs into the cigar lighter and the antenna cable is a screw in type, it takes me about 30 second to remove/install mine.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well which one do you have? if it plugs into the lighter why did you need male/female connectors? thanks
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
dustinnice
1980 CJ7 

yep. i have a uniden pro510xl. small, cheap, easy to get out. ask around, people are always getting rid of cb's. flea markets, craigslist, friends, neighbors. i got a uniden pc76xlw for 10 bucks at a flea market.
my antenna is permanently wired but you can plug it up and the power goes right to the cig lighter. you might like an in-line engine noise filter to cancel engine interference as well.
dustinnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have Cobra 19DX III I think, I don't remember the name for sure but this is a pic of it I found online.

I used the female/male connectors because I ran my cigar lighter power cable around through the dash and didn't want to have to keep running it. haha I just wanted it to look clean when it was in.
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Handheld CB's are crap. They have tiny little speakers that you can't hear, just when you need to talk to somebody they slid off the seat and out of reach, and you can usually throw them farther then they will transmit or receive.

All CB's come with screw in knobs for the mounting bracket. Add a quick disconnect to the power wire and it takes about 45 seconds to install or remove the CB. All that is left in the Jeep when you remove the CB is the mounting bracket and some wires you can tuck out of sight.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #10
Reds82
1994 XJ Cherokee 

You can always get a magnetic mount antenna then a basic cb wire it to the cig lighter can be totally pulled out fast. Do you still have you carpeting in your xj? If so pick up some industrial Velcro and stick it to your trans hump.
Reds82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Handheld CB's are crap.... you can usually throw them farther then they will transmit or receive.
That is absolutely hilarious...I visualize someone stranded on a trail throwing one of these things haha

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

alright good input guys..i was looking around online and realized there are so many different ones and i really have no idea which to get...so the only two wires going into one of these is a single power and an antenna? i kind of like the look of an antenna on the rear corner of the xj..either on the bumper or a bracket that ties into the tail light mounts...so i would probably just run the wire right to where i want the cb and tuck it away when not in use
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cobra Electronics 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather

This is what your looking for, the remote has all the controls on it and the big part of the CB can be put in the dash or center console, when not in use just unplug the handset from a cigarette lighter kinda deal, It is then like you dont have a cb in your Jeep.

THis is what im going to do when i have the money to buy the coax cable and the antenna.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
alright good input guys..i was looking around online and realized there are so many different ones and i really have no idea which to get...so the only two wires going into one of these is a single power and an antenna? i kind of like the look of an antenna on the rear corner of the xj..either on the bumper or a bracket that ties into the tail light mounts...so i would probably just run the wire right to where i want the cb and tuck it away when not in use
You will have a red wire (12v+), a black wire (Grnd) and then you'll have an antenna wire that screws into the back of your cb (its the big metal round area on the back of the box)

About the mounting on the rear? I went to a CB shop a couple days ago about mine, I was thinking about moving my antenna to the rear also.....well, they said that it is not a good idea because it will lower you reach a LOT. He said the best location is going to be on you driver side fender, by the hood. He was talking for a while about the grounding plane and blah blah blah but in the end he said don't do it in the rear lol I've had mine in the front for a while and it works perfectly so I ended up not moving it. I just remove my antenna (a 4' Firestick II I think)when not using it and throw it in the back cargo area
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any CB from Cobra, Uniden, or Midland will work just fine. Find a small one that fits in the spot you pick to mount it. Follow the instructions included in the box for installation.

I can explain the technical stuff if you want, but the best place for your CB antenna is the middle of the roof. The side of the hood or near the rear taillight will work, but your long distance transmit and receive will be not as good as with the roof mount location. For trail use, anywhere is OK as long as you tune the antenna correctly. Buy a quality 3-4 foot tall brand name CB antenna like Wilson, Firestik, or Francis.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.