cb antenna mount - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

cb antenna mount

Im trying to find out if the cb antenna mount fire stick mk174 will work on my hood,I have a 96 cherokee Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 05:38 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The FireStik MK-174 hood mount works well on XJ Cherokees.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

great thanks so much for the help

post #4 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 06:27 PM
YY5RM
1988 MJ Comanche 

Garage
Hi Engineer Barbaraw, nice to meet you, I'm writing from Venezuela.
If you want to check if the antenna emits well, you can use an SWR meter instrument, but have the RFS (RF Signal) position on the selector. They are recognized because they have a small antenna.

sube fotos

The test consists of mounting the antenna in different parts of the car, when transmitting it should simply move 360 degrees around the antenna with the instrument in hand (without connecting to anything) and with the RF reading given by the instrument you can check where and To where it emits better signal strength.
If you are using original cable extension, it is advisable to use resonant coaxial cable to prevent the antenna from moving its bandwidth to other unwanted frequencies.

For my part, welcome to the forum and I am at your service (QRV).
zrickety likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:48 PM
NT7B
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YY5RM View Post
Hi Engineer Barbaraw, nice to meet you, I'm writing from Venezuela.
If you want to check if the antenna emits well, you can use an SWR meter instrument, but have the RFS (RF Signal) position on the selector. They are recognized because they have a small antenna.

The test consists of mounting the antenna in different parts of the car, when transmitting it should simply move 360 degrees around the antenna with the instrument in hand (without connecting to anything) and with the RF reading given by the instrument you can check where and To where it emits better signal strength.
If you are using original cable extension, it is advisable to use resonant coaxial cable to prevent the antenna from moving its bandwidth to other unwanted frequencies.

For my part, welcome to the forum and I am at your service (QRV).
YY5RM? I see I'm not the only one here using their callsign as a forum ID. Nothing really to add to the thread, just wanted to say 73 from another Amateur, de NT7B.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-12-2017, 04:45 AM
YY5RM
1988 MJ Comanche 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT7B
YY5RM? I see I'm not the only one here using their callsign as a forum ID. Nothing really to add to the thread, just wanted to say 73 from another Amateur, de NT7B.
Specials greetings colleague Jeffrey, these days there is no good atmospheric spread but hopefully I can copy it one day to exchange comments.

I'm glad to hear that I have Radio Amateurs here.

The following file has a lot in common with the answer I gave in this post:
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...5-cc7ac5ac61b2

I know that Jeepforum.com is for Jeep cars and it is of little relevance to comment on radios. For those who require it, on my page www.qrz.com/db/YY5RM there are similar files dedicated to knowledge of electronics, radios, antennas and construction at low costs (Currently translating into English).

I am at your service (QRV).
post #7 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hi everybody I got the antenna installed on my hood and the cb radio installed but I have a lot of coax that I round up it was an 18 foot cable and Im only using maybe 5 feet of it , can I cut that much off ?
post #8 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hi can you tell me if I can cut some of the coax off for my antenna. I have it hooked up but i git 18 feet and Im only using maybe 5 feet !Thanks

Barbara
post #9 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 05:01 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can use any length of coax cable as necessary. If the coax cable terminates in bare wires you can trim it down. If antenna end of the cable has a connector installed, unless you are skilled at installing them, you should leave it alone. Simply bunch up any excess coax cable and zip tie it out of the way.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 PM
YY5RM
1988 MJ Comanche 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraw View Post
hi everybody I got the antenna installed on my hood and the cb radio installed but I have a lot of coax that I round up it was an 18 foot cable and Im only using maybe 5 feet of it , can I cut that much off ?
The SWR is inevitably in CB for cars, this is the effect when trimming the length of the coaxial cable:
subir imagen

It simply shifts the resonance frequency, ie the best response of your antenna moves to another frequency or channel. If it is very important, simply adjust the antenna.

QRV.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks

Barbara
post #12 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
barbaraw
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is there anybody in chino valley az than can tune my antenna thanks

Last edited by barbaraw; 03-19-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Wrong state
post #13 of 20 Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It can get to be a pretty involved subject, but the "short answer" is that you should not shorten the coax, if possible. Running the "wrong" length can cause false readings from an SWR meter, and make correctly tuning the antenna impossible. Just keep in mind that you should NOT! under any circumstance "coil" the coax. Instead, "bundle it up", and use cable ties or tape to keep it in position. Also, you should check to make sure that your hood is properly grounded. A braided strap is the best bet to ground it for RF purposes.

NT7B, no, you're not the only person using their callsign for a usename! 73s to yourself, and YY5RM, from South Georgia!

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #14 of 20 Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 AM
YY5RM
1988 MJ Comanche 

Garage
Greetings to all.

Hi Ryan Colleague, nice to meet you. I hope to copy it one day in frequency.
For the signal to go far, it is best to install it in a place of the car, avoiding proximity to the metal of the body. Many people prefer not to drill holes in the body, could be in the roof rack.
Here are some of the cars we've had at home:

subirimagenes

The car I use most is the Comanche, the antenna is installed in the corner of the cargo box.

subir fotos online

QRV.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The length of coax has no effect on the antenna system performance (radio, coax & antenna) in radiating the energy at the antenna, and also has no effect on the tuning of the antenna itself. If your antenna is properly resonant, and the feedpoint impedance is close to the feedline impedance, the length of the coax will not make one bit of difference.

Good info here >> http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.