Is catalytic converter necessary for 99 xj to run right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Is catalytic converter necessary for 99 xj to run right?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 04-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
gafuller01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is catalytic converter necessary for 99 xj to run right?

I have a 99 XJ 4x4 4.0L. Will the engine run right with no catalytic convertor? Also, will the absence of a CC affect the O2 sensors?

gafuller01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
1996xj
2005 WK 

Yes it will run. The downstream O2 sensor will light the check engine light if you remove the cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
i am just gunna drive around in 4lo on dry streets, and peel out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
1996xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Paybac
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No worries

I should run sweet and actually give you a bit of extra power. Maybe on the verge of being noticable maybe even a bit of extra MPG. I havn't done it on a jeep but you should just be able to ground that sensor on the body somewhere. That will stop the check light.
Paybac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
rstarch345

It is against Federal law to remove a catalytic converter.

You aid tree huggers in their fight about us contributing to environmental damage.

You might gain 1/2 MPG per tank of gas.

Be a smart Jeeper and keep the cat in and let my grand kids have good air to breath.
'71 M151
I'm a proud member of MyUniBody
rstarch345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my 98 with no cat and the O2 sensor is cut but my light isn't on. Oh well haha. The cat just gets clogged and kills your jeep.
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it will run right, but that doesn't mean you should do it.
xjarchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
cherokeeman90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

theres things you can buy to make it sound like you dont have a cat
but yes, plz don't do it for all our sake...
cherokeeman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
nujeepguy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

you know when i was young and stupid and childless I removed cats whenever i could. i didn't know the environment pays for it dearly. They way I look at it now is how would you feel if the air you breathe smelt like rotten farts and the water tasted like where those farts came from. Our kids ,kids will probably find out. I don't want to knowingly be the sh%$5 flinger.
nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
lgnd6

It will more than likely sound terrible too...especially if you have aftermarket exhaust.
Just get a high-flow cat.
Magna-Flow makes a good one.

Your exhaust only needs to flow as much air (cfm) as your engine combination is anyway. So unless you have forced induction or large displacement with a super good flowing head and other internal mods, you won't notice much of a difference in a high-flow cat versus no cat. Plus the high-flow ones are legal. You might see a couple horsepower by replacing the stock with a high flow...and maybe one more hp by no cat at all.
lgnd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just keep the cat

/ thread
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
XJKyle1389
1998 XJ Cherokee 

aCTUALLY IT WILL HURT UR FUEL MILEAGE AND THE XJ WILL RUN BADLY. THE O2 WILL LIGHT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THE SYSTEM WILL NEVER GO INTO CLOSEED LOOP. wITHOUT CLOSED LOOP, YOULL BE RUNNING REALLY RICH EXHAUST. nOT TO MENTION WHEN THE COMPUTER THROWS A P0300 CODE (CATALYTIC CONVERTER INEFFICIENCY) IT WILL TRY TO COMPENSATE AND REALLY PLAY WITH UR AIR FUEL MIXTURE BADLY MAKING A ROUGH RUNNING XJ.
XJKyle1389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKyle1389 View Post
aCTUALLY IT WILL HURT UR FUEL MILEAGE AND THE XJ WILL RUN BADLY. THE O2 WILL LIGHT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THE SYSTEM WILL NEVER GO INTO CLOSEED LOOP. wITHOUT CLOSED LOOP, YOULL BE RUNNING REALLY RICH EXHAUST. nOT TO MENTION WHEN THE COMPUTER THROWS A P0300 CODE (CATALYTIC CONVERTER INEFFICIENCY) IT WILL TRY TO COMPENSATE AND REALLY PLAY WITH UR AIR FUEL MIXTURE BADLY MAKING A ROUGH RUNNING XJ.
no it wont. you are wrong.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKyle1389 View Post

thats for the primary 02

the after cat 02 will(should) set off a code and tell you to replace your cat convoytah
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
1996xj
2005 WK 

The are some ppl that shouldnt be giving advice....
Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
i am just gunna drive around in 4lo on dry streets, and peel out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
1996xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 03:03 AM   #15
xjcowboy01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I concure. If youre not absolutely possitive then tell us it is just a guess. We dont need to lead people into doing things that may hurt them or their jeep in the long run. Oh by the way I beleive the computer on the 99 is complex enough that even if a cat didnt have an O2 sensor in it the upstream O2 sensors may notice a difference and cause the jeep to get squirley. I dont beleive that there is much to gain by removing it and possibly much more to lose. So the safe bet would be leave it or get a high flow cat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.